How to accurately measure MDF thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good people,
I am planning on replacing some boards upstairs, which historically have been soaked when a radiator was removed(I suspect), and are now quite brittle.

My plan was to trim near the wall and lay new plywood boards. Sticking some noggins in at the join near the wall.I didn't want to do the entire floor.

However I can't tell what thickness to buy.

Where it is swollen, it is around 27mm, around the joists it is perhaps 22mm (if it helps I can grab a caliper and get accurate readings). It obviously needs to match up near the edge, so what should I do?

My only thought is to bore a hole somewhere that looks OK, and put a support underneath the hole.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, any tips on reducing any joins? Super thin ply over joins?

Sponsored Links
You cannot leave in the floor any water damaged or swollen sub-flooring. You must cut back to sound wood.

The typical sheet material is 22mm.

The cause of any leaking must be found and corrected.

Why not pic the floor and post on here.

Dont go boring any holes.

Thanks for the reply ree. I don't know what the cause was, it happened before I moved in to this bungalow, but I am finally getting a chance to look under the carpet upstairs.
The major problem with stripping all water damaged boards is, the wall rests on the boards, and is presumably nailed in.
I am not in a financial position to do rebuild the timber frame wall.
There are a couple of bore holes, I assume for some kind of servicing or rewiring (it is near a plug which isn't on the original plans.
I can't easily take a picture decent, as the room is currently in use by a sleeping wife.
The flooring is my side of the bed. I plan on dealing with this whilst she is away for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_221230.jpg
    IMG_20150807_221230.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 107
Finally had a chance to look under the carpet.

There is an awful lot of give in the boards which look to have had some damp problems.

My intention is to approach it in a similar way to this:
http://www.fitmywoodfloor.co.uk/bouncy-squeaky-chipboard-floor-replaced-with-structural-ply/

I found a couple of access panels for when the previous owners rewired the place. I found the average width of boards is just shy of 19mm, and the minimum width was about 18.5mm. So I have to imagine that the floor was originally 18mm, though 19mm might be a better fit.

I can't see any 19mm at Wickes so.

• My plan is to get a bunch of 18mm Spruce plywood (unless you have a better suggestion).
  • Cut around about 40mm from the wall (like in the post linked above) and put joist hanger supports at the new joins (as above)
My questions are:
  • Will it being raised a couple of mm around the carpet gripper be a disaster?
  • Can you/Should I get 19mm boards?
A couple of pics for your amusement - including a wire that scared me, but assume is nothing important...

Any replies appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20150809_182352.jpg
    IMG_20150809_182352.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20150809_182303.jpg
    IMG_20150809_182303.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20150809_181241.jpg
    IMG_20150809_181241.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20150809_180727.jpg
    IMG_20150809_180727.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
The bare solid cable looks like a 10mm power cable. If its dead then terminate it in a box or at least wrap it in insulating tape: kill the consumer unit before doing anything with the cable. Dont attempt to pull it out unless its very loose.

A few mm's wont make much difference.

18mm is what you want.

Recently, there was a long thread on this very subject of cutting close to a stud partition sitting on a sub-floor - check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back