How to add more power sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

I am about to move to a new built house.

I am in need of doing some DIY at the house, namely run two or four more power sockets which will be located on the hallway.

I want to install a new fuse just for these. It should be quick straight forward as the fuse box is at about 1metre up. I have done so in the past but in Portugal so I want to make sure I am doing it accordingly.
I must say that, modesty aside, I am quite good with DIY. I have been a carpenter in the past and have been an IT Engineer for the past 17 years.
So adding sockets (Network Sockets) to a plaster wall is not a problem to me but I do need your help to have this done nicely and most importantly, safe.

These will be powering a DVR, a Ethernet Switch, an IP Phone and my router. So I think it would be a good idea to have a new fuse placed on the fuse box just for these sockets.

So I will need help as to what size (width) cable to buy and what size/power/ amp fuse should I buy.

It would be nice to have all 4 sockets next to each other in the wall but if I must install only two and use adaptors to connect all devices it will not be a problem, but again, I need to do this within UK regulations/compliances and safe.

All help much appreciated.

On another note, never ever seen a country like England that enforce health and safety near the extreme, and one must say for good reason, I have nothing against it, why is it that on a new built house the fuse box is at about 1.20Meter from the ground on the hall?

I mean, my 13 months old boy can almost reach this so I can see him soon playing with this fuse box. Not even a closet was done to conceal this!

Not in anyway I am having a go but with with so much emphasis to health and safety why a circuit board is placed at a hight that a 2 year old can reach out?

Just trying to understand this one.

Again, any help on this is very much appreciated and a big thank you in advance to the great people that are always willing to help others.

Kind regards,
Albert.

Sponsored Links
OK.
Easy question first.

Q Why is the consumer unit so close to the ground?
A So you can reach it from your wheelchair, of course.

Next. If you run a new circuit to your consumer unit then this is something that must be notified to the local authority. You'll have to pay their fee plus they will inspect the work that you do, at various stages. F

For small jobs like this most people use a registered electrician as its cheaper than the DIY/local authority route especially as from your other questions you don't have the knowledge to do the job. .

Details on the WIKI at
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

OK.
Easy question first.

Q Why is the consumer unit so close to the ground?
A So you can reach it from your wheelchair, of course.

Next. If you run a new circuit to your consumer unit then this is something that must be notified to the local authority. You'll have to pay their fee plus they will inspect the work that you do, at various stages. F

For small jobs like this most people use a registered electrician as its cheaper than the DIY/local authority route especially as from your other questions you don't have the knowledge to do the job. .

Details on the WIKI at
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law[/QUOTE]

Hello.

I can see your point regarding the disabled but then again, the house is not disabled friendly as it has a second floor (therefore stairs) and no ramp access either to the back or the front.

I guess I can always get an extension socket and have it plugged in the existing socket?

Just rather have it neatly done but this can always be the route.

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,
Albert

I must say that, modesty aside, I am quite good with DIY. I have been a carpenter in the past and have been an IT Engineer for the past 17 years.
So how does that experience give you electrical installation skills?

So adding sockets (Network Sockets) to a plaster wall is not a problem to me
But they aren't network sockets.....

but I do need your help to have this done nicely and most importantly, safe.
I'll come back to "safe".

These will be powering a DVR, a Ethernet Switch, an IP Phone and my router.
Digital Video Recorder? In the hall? :confused:

So I think it would be a good idea to have a new fuse placed on the fuse box just for these sockets.
Why?

So I will need help as to what size (width) cable to buy and what size/power/ amp fuse should I buy.

.... safe.
The 8th item in my list above...

Sponsored Links
If its a new build house can you not get the developers to add a few sockets where you want them ?

If its a new build house can you not get the developers to add a few sockets where you want them ?

The builders are gone now and I have no contact of the electrician that done the installation nor the builders.

It might not be worth all the trouble as this is yet a rented property, so therefore not mine.

I am sorry if I was not clear on my initial post.

The DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is not in the wall. The power socket is. I have had a hard look ( but then again I am very tiered) and haven't seen where have I written that the DVR is in the wall.

Electrical experience?
Let's see. Throughout 17 years of laying Ethernet cables in their runs (in UK you might call it a different name), I have almost always ran into the need of having to provide the power sockets for each and every single node.

Not once till this day, my customers have had any problems with their electrical installations. So, for me, this is good enough. Is it a certified job/installation? No. It is not.

At least I am confident enough to do these small installations in a clean and responsible way and I know how to say when the job is not for me.

In fact, I have done the odd job here and there in the UK under the supervision of a qualified electrician from work, who has in more than one occasion advised me to go to college and do a course on the current subject.

It is interesting that only last year I tried to do a course in electrical installations at the local college but was turned down as I do not work in the current trade????? Talking about fair????

Try to enter the trade as a mate of mind did, but it's catch 22, no qualifications no job???

Anyway, I do value all comments/criticism/support/help/concerns expressed and do take it all on-board. At the end of the day electricity is not just data going over a Cat5E cable. If not done correctly it could be disastrous.

Regards,
Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back