Add Double Socket from Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to add another double socket to my study. The fuse box is also in the study and I want to add the new socket below the fusebox at the usual height above the floor. Can I take a feed from the existing sockets circuit from the fuse box or as there is space should I add in a new breaker to the fuse box and take it from there?

I do have power already in the study but its on the other side of the room and a door way is in the way, so a spur off it would be hard to wire in.

Also if I got an electrician in to do it how much would it cost, I happy for the socket to be fixed to the wall as well as the cable and not chiselled out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can I take a feed from the existing sockets circuit from the fuse box or as there is space should I add in a new breaker to the fuse box and take it from there?

I do have power already in the study but its on the other side of the room and a door way is in the way, so a spur off it would be hard to wire in.

Also if I got an electrician in to do it how much would it cost, I happy for the socket to be fixed to the wall as well as the cable and not chiselled out.

Thanks

You can spur off the existing circuit directly from the fuse box. Normal rules for spurs apply and if you do it this way the work is not notifiable. However, strictly speaking it should be tested and a Minor Works Certificate issued (which you can do yourself if you (a) are competent to fill it in and (b) have the necessary test equipment and the skill to use it)

If you install a new circuit, then as PBD says, it is notifiable work and it will be cheaper to get an electrician to do it.

Sponsored Links
If you do cut into the existing circuit, the additional spur will still need to have RCD protection, this will depend whether your CU/Fuse box is already protected or not!

IF this is a 30/32 amp ring circuit you may only spur from the consumer unit once.

So if there are two wires at the fuse/mcb, and it is a 30/32 amp ring, chances are you can add a spur. If there is already three wires at the fuse/mcb you won't be able to do it.

Once again thank you for the detailed replies.

I've checked ans there are only two wires into the downstairs sockets mcb. Both the sockets mcb are also clustered next to an RCD.

As the new socket is coming directly from the fusebox is there a certain cable type I should use?

What size is the breaker on the circuit?
A rule of thumb would mean using no less than 2.5mm twin and earth, but would be handy to know what MCB is protecting the circuit, I assume with two cables already fed to the live/line side at consumer unit it will be 32A.

I've checked ans there are only two wires into the downstairs sockets mcb. Both the sockets mcb are also clustered next to an RCD.

As the new socket is coming directly from the fusebox is there a certain cable type I should use?

You would normally use 2.5 mm twin+earth cable.

You will need green and yellow sleeving to go over the bare earth wire.

You would normally use 2.5 mm twin+earth cable.

You will need green and yellow sleeving to go over the bare earth wire.

Thought so, as that what I have and have used in the past, just wanted to double check :D

Instead of a 2.5mm² spur to a single double gang socket, could he run a 32A radial in 4mm² from the same MCB?

You could, although it would be a fairly shoddy thing to do, plus obtaining a short piece of 4mm T+E isn't likely to be an easy task, it could be considered another circuit in which case it contravenes 314.4, and all assumes that it is a 32A MCB and not a 30A rewireable fuse.

As 2.5mm would be entirely adequate and can be purchased in short pieces in any DIY shop, why would anyone bother with the 4mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back