How to arrange bricks / blocks around this cavity junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I really hope my diagrams suffice here...

I’m building an extension to my standard 1970s semi detached property. The extension is to the side of the existing and follows the profile that is already there; ie the roofs will flow across.

There is already an extension to the rear and that profile too is being followed, so the mono pitch roof flows across - see diagram A.

There is a standard steel twin beam holding the new rear upper wall as the new room beneath it is open.

I have built all of the ground floor masonry to the same height and have my steel beam sat on it. I now need to build the main upper floor flank under the main up and over roof gable and on top of the beam for the rear wall - see Diagram B

I have started to run my courses as in Diagram C and my question is, is it normal to do so, or is it normal to do it as in Diagram D?

Ultimately once the wall over the steel beam is above the mono pitch roof level there is no choice but to do Diagram C but I’m worried if it is expected I do D first and then transition to C once at that level.

I was thinking of running a DPC strip where the block gable joins the brick wall (Diagram C) to stop damp transition across it and then down into the internal block wall below.

I’m not too bothered about BC at this point as I’ve found them to be extremely relaxed for this type of stuff. I read in my books about needing vertical DPCs where an existing external wall bridges a cavity wall from a new extension, and even some BCs requiring the cavity to be opened and run continuous - yet my BC requires neither (I still ran a vertical DPC where appropriate despite him saying it’s not needed after learning a lot from this forum.

So I’m just looking to know if this is what you guys would do or not; ie would you just build the outer brick leaf down the main side flank then return it across the steel beam, then but up the mono pitch gable to it with ties.

thanks a lot.

E42F070D-3FF7-46B2-93F9-544185F72168.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back