How to attach climbers to walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !
I'm new to this forum and am wondering how to attach my climbing plants to old brick walls. I bought some plastic netting but couldn't find the 'fixings' to attach it to the wall. A year or 2 ago I had some T shaped things that screwed into the wall and the netting clipped into them but I cannot find them any more.
Any ideas please?

I am no DIY expert, by a long chalk, just a lady trying to improve her garden

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The way I would do it would be - get some small screws and raw plugs - drill holes into the brick (you could drill into the mortar, but probably safer going straight into the brick in case you crumble it).

Then just attach the netting to the screws.

Another option - although I have never tried - is get some strong adhesive (like No More Nails - outdoor version) and glue some hooks to the wall.

Good luck,

Gary

are you sure you really want to do that? most climbing plants "attack" the mortar, ivy is a good example

if your mortar is soft enough, you can buy "climbing nails" from most garden centres. these are a short fat nail with a cast piece of lead on top, and a piece which comes off to allow you to hook it around the plants, or the netting. Ill try and find a picture when ive a little more time

Not all climbers will attack the walls, eg jasmine honeysuckle etc.

Sponsored Links
I would use Masonry nails and tie the mesh to the nails with garden wire. Would be the cheapest solution and easiest to remove if required at a later date.

I like Vine Eyes. These screw in rather like a very long (and thick!) cup hook, so you need to drill a hole in the wall and insert a plastic plug. You can then tie rope, string or wire to it according to the size of your climbers. Rope or webbing is less likely to cut into the stem.

I'm not keen on nailing into walls as this can crack the bricjk or mortar.

Would you believe it !! Went to a store in a differnt town and found just the T fixings I have been looking for for months !! Problem solved :)

Thanks to all who replied- very helpful.
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back