How to best fix this piece of copper pipe to connect to basin tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just changed over a couple of basin taps, and cut a couple of isolation valves into the pipework while I was there (a good idea as it happens as when I turned the water back on and opened the value the hot tap sprayed water everywhere!)

The problem is the compression joint that goes from the 15mm pipe to the bottom of the tap. I think the pipe side is just knackered - now it didn't leak before, but it was super tight. I mean really tight. I literally couldn't turn it with the basin wrench on it's own, I had to use a piece of copper pipe on the handle as a lever and even then is was an effort to loosen it. When I try to tighten it up on the new tap it seems to go from hand tight to virtually not moving at all with the wrench after a very small turn, so I think there's just something wrong with it.

Checking the screwfix catalog it looks like the piece on the end is a COPPER END FEED STRAIGHT TAP CONNECTOR 15MM X 1/2".

The problem is I'm not sure the best way to approach this.

Bear in mind I'm a half decent DIY'er, but no expert. With regard to plumbing I can replace the insides of a toilet cistern, replace washers/taps etc, cut isolation valves into copper pipe etc. But actually soldering/joining/bending copper pipe is on my wishlist but not current skillset...

So, looking at this bit of pipe what is the best approach? Let's assume that I don't want to wuss out and just use a short flexi.

Should I learn how to bend pipe and create the whole section from scratch?
Should I learn how to unsolder the end joint and resolder a similar joint?
Slap some jointing compound on there and just screw it on super duper tight?

pipe.png
pipe2.png

pipe3.png

Sponsored Links
There should be a fibre washer between the tap connector & the bottom of the tap.

It looks like its missing? Without it, you won't get it to seal. Easy enough to buy another washer & replace it.

There should be a fibre washer between the tap connector & the bottom of the tap.

It looks like its missing? Without it, you won't get it to seal. Easy enough to buy another washer & replace it.
oooh, like this?

washer.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back