How to best paint/protect door frame baseboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what it's called so i've just called it the baseboard. Basically it's the bit i've marked in the red X.

This was all a dark reddy/brown but my wife has insisted on having it all painted white.

My concern here is that with time, walking over that board, things hitting it or whatever etc etc is that the paint will chip & you'll see the reddy-brown underneath & it's going to look horrendous.

I've asked her & she was wanting them glossed. It's Johnstones Aqua water based gloss that we have in.

Do you reckon gloss would take to the baseboard (& protect) perfectly fine or should a specific paint be put on the frame?

How would you knowledgeable folk tackle it?

Sponsored Links
the x to me looks like a floor board?
the bit in front of it is called the threshold.

the x to me looks like a floor board?
the bit in front of it is called the threshold.
Sorry, the image is poor - i should've cleaned up & taken without the flash.

It's certainly not the floor board. It's the same colour as the doors/frames.

If it helps then i can clean it up tomorrow & get you a better photo?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but we have no lighting to the room so i had to power by torch light.

This is taken from the other side. The photo above is from the dining room looking in to the living room. This is the opposite.

You can see the wooden flooboards & then you can see the reddy-browny bit of wood which is where the frame work meets the floor.

I'll need to clean it up :) But hopefully these photo help identify what i'm on about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back