How to Build a Wooden Door and Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

Can someone point me to a good guide for building a decent (draft / rain proof) wooden door and frame. I am building a workshop in my garden and the height is pretty restricted and probably not enough room to fit a standard 1981mm door.

I am still trying to work out exactly how high my roof will be, let alone the door opening!!

I had been advised to look for a local company to build a custom height UPVC one but this will be over £400 at least.

Preferable T&G paneled to assist with weatherproofing.

I have a selection of tools and can borrow a Mitre Saw.

Also what is the recommended width for a door opening?

Sponsored Links
OK so I have been looking into this a little more.
The only restriction I have is the height of the door so the width is up to me. I am about to lay the blocks for the second course so I need to work out how wide I want the door opening, this is where I am stuck.

Looking on the internet I can find loads of info on standard door widths but not a lot on how wide the frame needs to be - or indeed how to build a door frame (unless its in a stud wall which mine is not).

I need the door to be a sensible width for my workshop / shed so I can get things in and out without too much hassle (bikes, car engines - basically things that I may tinker with!!). So what width should I go for?

I measured my back door and the door frame seems to sit in a gap of about 92cm - would this seem big?

The door is pretty simple - 'Ledge & Brace' - there are instructions on the web so you can make one to whatever size you want.

For a shed door you want the (opening/working) width to be at least 30inch so you should be looking at a 32inch door; so the door casing (what you refered to as the 'frame') will be made from 3x2* so the gap in the brickwork is 36inches (2+32+2).
*with 'nailed-on' jambs which is the simpler construction.

Sponsored Links
I used to live in a house with a 48" wide front door, which was roomy and imposing. Handy if you want to carry big stuff in and out. Some garage doors are made in pairs, each about this size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back