How to build strongest oak frame apple press?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I previously built an apple press out of pallets as you can see in attached image. Worked for a while, but the cross beam eventually broke after being put under too much pressure from the screw press. I have managed to come across a load of oak 95 x 95mm x 600mm offcuts from a timber yard.

I'm sure the oak won't break whatever way I assemble it, but just trying to think of the best arrangement and type of joints to make sure it lasts many years. Something simple too like tenon or lap joints. I am a carpenter but I don't do many joints in my work.

Ideally I would use a single upright on the right side. If this arrangement looks good, will try and source a single piece. But I only have bits 600mm long, so in last image you see I may have to make a joint.

Anyway, thought would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Apple press & scratter.jpg
    Apple press & scratter.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Apple Press Oak Frame 1.jpg
    Apple Press Oak Frame 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Apple Press Oak Frame 2.jpg
    Apple Press Oak Frame 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe reinforce the beams/joints with a steel plate, using the principle of a flitch plate.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back