Using Green oak in construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help me or guide me a little.

I was after putting some oak beams and supports in as a feature in my extension. I don't really want pretend beams etc. I first looked at dried oak and was shocked how expensive it is, especially when you want a big fat beam of 3m and two uprights plus some other bits to go with it. So I did not want to pay out nearly a thousand pounds for that lot and thought my plans were doomed but then I looked on the net and came across stuff about building with green oak and I have started looking all over again at the possibility of doing what I want to do as green oak is a lot cheaper even if you buy the higher grade quality.

I have learnt that the green oak once put into a centrally heated house will slowly dry and shrink across its width and breadth but virtually not at all in length, which I found surprising. Of course it could also twist which would be a bit of a problem if it is pressed up against the ceiling.

So if this is the case it seems I could put a green oak beam across the ceiling and two uprights and not worry too much about them getting shorter, which is the most important measurement to worry about. Also if I am clever with some careful hidden wedges and maybe oak trim I could maybe adjust things as they changed.

I see several companies who do construction with green oak but I cannot find much on the net to learn more about building with it, ie I want to find some tips and pointers and what to watch out for etc, and maybe things to watch out for in the beams when buying them so not to get problems with twisting etc later on. The people that work with it must have learnt from somewhere. If I could get some basic knowledge I feel I could do a better job. after all I only want to put a few beams up not build a whole building like they do out of it. I do have some experience so I know about the dangers of the weight of it and securing it in place in the correct way etc.

I don't want the dark twisted oak you get in pubs but I want the light American very square look and I may do a couple of other things in the house with it if I am successful with the first project. I am very good with carpentry and have done many involved projects but I am self taught, I am not a carpenter by trade.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Any links etc would help.

Sponsored Links
Grand Design had an episode this year where they used green Oak for beams:
see E-build forum for a discussion on it.
I have my strong doubts on using green Oak for beams specially in winter time. The central heating IMHO will dry it out too quickly!

weald & downland museum do courses in gren oak constructionon. They aren't cheap but will tell you every thing you needed to now abutot gren oak and mor

Main thing is that te beams will shrink move and crack and that part of the look. If you don't like that look use steel girders instead! Also I don't kno mch abot usin just a beam and tw posts as part of a structure maded in something else. Whn its used as the whol tructure th movement isn't such a problem because its all moving toghether.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, I don't know too much about actually constructing oak beams however I do have them in my house and the company I used for them did the job well! Their website is http://www.forestoak.co.uk/ if you want to check them out :) If you find someone better, let me know!

I had quite the same dilemma before - deciding what to do with oak beams. I can say that it is best to ask for an expert's assistance. They can give you the right solution just when we think that the answer we initially thought to be the one but rather there's a better solution for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back