How to build this foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

In an effort to appease an angry and concerned neighbour over a single storey extension at the back of my house (being a semi) then a structural engineer has drawn up this.

My question is, how do I build it? Lay the concrete first, put the hoops in drilled holes and resin glue them in? Or other options, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Emailing__ScreenHunter_2313_Jul._24_09.12,_ScreenHunter_2314_Jul._24_09.12.zip
    728.4 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
I have seen some harebrained schemes from structural engineers but that is priceless.

Is there any reason why you cannot have a traditional foundation?

The neighbour laid an egg when I went for planning.
Police were called as he went started threatening me and the planning officer on a site visit. The planning officer was genuinely shocked having not seen before.

This is an effort to not have to get near our shared wall.

But from your sketch the new foundation will be no deeper than the existing so The Party Wall Act should not apply so there is nothing stopping you casting your traditional trench foundation right up against the existing.

If it is a "shared" wall you have even more rights to use it.

That cantilevered encased steel beam arrangement is bonkers.

If you really have no other option I would be concerned at trying to resin fix the hoops into the concrete. Can you cast them in-situ and then slide the steel beam through?

Sponsored Links
Wessex, thanks, the existing foundation is pretty shallow, hence realistically I will go deeper than the existing.

Sliding through makes sense, just messy.

Part of your engineer's job is to design and tell you how the straps are to be fixed and with an arrangement such as this how it is to be constructed.

You can't assume that resin or retrospective fixing is OK. You may need to shutter it and cast it as one, or you could pour the trench and then grout in the straps

Are there more drawings? Because those two are lacking in detail as to nr of straps, nr of beams, what goes on the beam ends etc.

If your deeper foundations are within 3m of the neighbours, then the PW Act applies regardless of this cantelever design.

Possibly a shallow raft foundation would be preferable then? Although personally I would still prefer the traditional strip foundation but cast in bays so you don't undermine the existing foundation.

Strip foundation along the rear extension wall, then a beam back towards the house acting like lintel.

Thats the simplist way :rolleyes:

:eek:This looks a bit of a strange one :!: I would want further explanation from the engineer.

WTF!
The thing is, people get these things built irrespective of angry neighbours, almost encouraging the resolve of those wishing to extend. What about scaffold etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back