How to bung the 22mm supply from a cold tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a good way of bunging a 22mm outlet from my cold tank?

The supply to the hot cylinder from the tank has a gate valve that doesn't work. Surprise, surprise. I'd like to avoid draining the cold tank. I tried a Vac-u-vin stopper which I've used successfully on 15mm outlets in the past but it's too small for 22mm.

Sponsored Links
visit local brew shop and see if they have suitable rubber bungs - or simply place a piece of flat thickish rubber over the hole and then start draining - the water pressure should hold it in place until you get the valve changed

Sponsored Links
visit local brew shop and see if they have suitable rubber bungs - or simply place a piece of flat thickish rubber over the hole and then start draining - the water pressure should hold it in place until you get the valve changed

Not sure I'd trust that fella??!!
I have used a stick & cloth in the past or even a shaped cork..... ;)

Good thinking Muggles but she declined.

Thanks Richardthe3rd - I've ordered a set (free delivery) for use when i change the rad. And thanks to Squeaky but the Toolstation ones are a lot cheaper. Didn't know they existed - wish I'd bought them years ago! In the meantime, to change the shower supply valves, I'll go with the stick and cloth idea, or more likely vacuvin stopper and cloth.

Sadly, Jackrae, my nearest home brew shop is miles away. Great suggestion though.

work out how much buying some bungs will be say £12. then work out how much it will cost to fill up say a 50 gallon tank. bet its cheaper. lets say its £5 a m3 of water thats 1000l=220 gallons. enough said really. also not forgetting some tank outlets have lugs on them so bunging might not work. plenty of ptfe wrapped around a bung has done the trick in the past though. you could also collect water for toilets etc if you want to save some.

Good thinking Muggles but she declined.

Thanks Richardthe3rd - I've ordered a set (free delivery) for use when i change the rad. And thanks to Squeaky but the Toolstation ones are a lot cheaper. Didn't know they existed - wish I'd bought them years ago! In the meantime, to change the shower supply valves, I'll go with the stick and cloth idea, or more likely vacuvin stopper and cloth.

Sadly, Jackrae, my nearest home brew shop is miles away. Great suggestion though.

Don't try the rest 'til you've tried the best!!
Puller at your service!!........ ;)

work out how much buying some bungs will be say £12. then work out how much it will cost to fill up say a 50 gallon tank. bet its cheaper. lets say its £5 a m3 of water thats 1000l=220 gallons. enough said really. also not forgetting some tank outlets have lugs on them so bunging might not work. plenty of ptfe wrapped around a bung has done the trick in the past though. you could also collect water for toilets etc if you want to save some.
That's the sort of logic I like but I'll use the bungs more than once. For a start I'll use them to replace a rad next week without the hassle and expense (inhibitor) of draining the system. Know what you mean about the lugs but luckily not a problem in this case.

You only need to use them once if you do the job right by changing out the defective outlet valve when you are doing the first job.

I have been using Dum Dum putty in a cash bag for year with no problems

you could use Blutack the same way.

What's wrong with 'snatching' the joints live?.... :evil:

have had to before, it was not pretty.

Or if absolutely desperate freeze the so&so.

DH

You only need to use them once if you do the job right by changing out the defective outlet valve when you are doing the first job.
Replacing the valves only deals with domestic H&C. I have to replace a rad too and further rads in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back