How to change a bulb in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have no idea how to change the bulbs in our bathroom and kitchen. I've attached some images of what it looks like, if you need it from another angle let me know.

So far 2 (our of 4) have blown in then bathroom and 1 (out of 6) is blown in the kitchen. I've tried to twist the metal but at the bottom but it doesn't seem to move independently of the bit that goes into the ceiling.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Alex
20180326_173851[1].jpg 20180326_173924[1].jpg 20180326_173927[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
Alex,
1) Your bulb holder (downlighter) will look someting like this, note the springs that are keeping it in the ceiling:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-cosm...r-pack-matt-white-500lm-4w-240v-10-pack/4370x

So I suggest you keep pulling until the whole light fitting comes out of the hole in the ceiling (make sure power is off at Fuse Box first incase any wires are loose when you pull it out).

2) With the buldholder out I then think that you will find it easier (as you will now have something to hold onto) to unscrew the chrome ring (which can be a bit stiff) from the white metal housing to get at the bulb.

3) Then note the type of bulb seeing if it is 12V or 240V (my guess is it is a 240V GU10, but that is an absolute guess).

regards SFK

Last edited:
Alex,
1) Your bulb holder (downlighter) will look someting like this, note the springs that are keeping it in the ceiling:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-cosm...r-pack-matt-white-500lm-4w-240v-10-pack/4370x

So I suggest you keep pulling until the whole light fitting comes out of the hole in the ceiling (make sure power is off at Fuse Box first incase any wires are loose when you pull it out).

2) I then think that you will find it easier to unscrew the chrome ring from the white housing to get at the bulb.

3) Then note the type of bulb seeing if it is 12V or 240V (my guess is it is a 240V GU10, but that is an absolute guess).

regards SFK

It should not be necessary to remove the lamp from the ceiling. Even if you did it will get you nowhere as the lamp (from the pic) is enclosed in a metal housing. Also, when you pull the lamp from the ceiling it will be painful as the two spring clips will whack on your fingers like a mousetrap.

Usually, the chrome front bezel needs to be turned anticlockwise a little bit and it will separate from the rear can part. Sometimes, it just pulls apart.
Finding the instructions can be a clue!

Usually, the chrome front bezel needs to be turned anticlockwise a little bit and it will separate from the rear can part.
But if the lights are a bit of a loose fit in a plastic ceiling, and the bezel has a sealing ring behind it, it ain't gonna turn.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a small strap wrench to grip the body, while turning the bezel.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back