How to Choose Correct Sharpening System for Chainsaw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to sharpen my chainsaw. Screwfix have a kit but how do I know if it will be the right size? This kit is 5/32" (4MM), but what measurement is that?

My saw is a McCulloch Mac 738.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Effectively, this is the file size required to suit and sharpen the chipper tooth.
Plenty of info on youtube or whatever and various file holders are available. These help to some degree but practice, as ever takes time to perfect. I like to hold the chain bar in a vice, slightly uphill, and keep the chain tight as I file away.
If you can find a firm thats open, they’ll machine sharpen the chain for a tenner, and sell you a spare for twice that. Always a good idea to keep one in!
John :)

Bear in mind, its only Powersharp chains that can use this accessory......I don’t like them personally but they do work to a degree.
The internal sharpening stone takes some stick though.

Sponsored Links
Effectively, this is the file size required to suit and sharpen the chipper tooth.
Plenty of info on youtube or whatever and various file holders are available. These help to some degree but practice, as ever takes time to perfect. I like to hold the chain bar in a vice, slightly uphill, and keep the chain tight as I file away.
If you can find a firm thats open, they’ll machine sharpen the chain for a tenner, and sell you a spare for twice that. Always a good idea to keep one in!

When they first came out the Rotatech chains were about 3 for £20! For an 18".

Now the same chain is about a tenner a pop

https://www.northernarbsupplies.co....atech-chainsaw-chain-for-husqvarna-357xp.html

I find just the file with a wooden handle is the quickest and esaiest.

for anybody used to sharpening its pretty straightforward to maintain the angle.

I dont even bother putting it in a vice, just do it on the machine. Its best to wear gloves

I use a grinder tool look here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Ex...d-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=4370226031

Really easy to use and accurate angles on each and every face every time,

tip: buy a bottle of tippex or white marker pen too, use as a marker to remind you which blade you started on as you soon lose track of where you are round the chain. Takes me 5mins to wizz round a chain and it's like new again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back