How to choose LED bulbs

well i could go back to normal bulbs and my 40w led equivalent to around 400w
would go up 9 fold to£110-160 so a few whales as well as the polar bears

Sponsored Links
At the moment I appear to have a thermal overload causing a trip which resets as it cools down but increasing the cooling effect on the Electronic transformer does not resolve the problem,
It is most likely a stressed component overheating internally and shutting down. If an SMPS design for a steady resistive load ( halogen lamp ) then when it is loaded with a non resistive load that varies rapidly its internal protection devices may decide to shut the device down.

I cannot understand why the original installation utilised Electronic transformers for incandescent lights, I would have thought is more cost effective just to have a simple 240/12v transformer with overload protection.
A poor quality SMPS can be made cheaper than a wound transformer. An SMPS can provide a stable and accurate voltage for the lamp even if the input voltage varies. This prolongs the life of a halogen lamp.

the customer is not aware of the Electronic Transformer/LED incompatibly and this should be highlighted to any potential purchaser.
This should be printed on the outside of the packaging. But it might reduce sales.

Thanks for our your response Bernard, it has helped me enormously.

The stressed component suggestion is possible but I have two Transformers exhibiting the same characteristic, maybe the same component is being stressed, but probably unlikely.

The price of SMPS is surprising that they will probably be cheaper than the old wound transformer thing but on reflection very probably as a wound transformer set up would also require some form of protection increasing the unit cost, so your suggestion is almost certainly correct.

Thanks again for your very helpful feedback, it is more appreciated than you probably realise, Thanks again.

Glad to help

The stressed component suggestion is possible but I have two Transformers exhibiting the same characteristic, maybe the same component is being stressed, but probably unlikely
If the two SMPSs are being "mis-used" in the same way then the stresses will be the same in both.

( mis-used = supplying SMPS LED current driver )

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Bernard.
I always knew Electrical Power Engineering was the easy option to Electronics, clearly that is why I opted to Electrical Machines as a Major, I was not clever enough for the latter. !!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back