How to clear soil completely?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so there was a large flower bed which was overgrown. Got the mini digger in and cleared the lot. I leave it for a couple of weeks and already it's resembling a field again. I want to gravel this area eventually. Sooner rather than later as it is a rental property and i am not there to maintain the garden.

1. So, what's the best/easiest way to clear the soil so that NOTHING will grow. Mini digger can't come in again to dig it all up.

Once i have cleared the land how do i prepare it for gravelling?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
nothing you can really do to stop nature doing what it wants to do. If you are going to be covering it with gravel, then use a decent quality heavy duty landscaping fabric, with a good covering of gravel.

If stuff is growing when you put teh fabric down it wont matter as the lack of ligh and nutrients will quickly kill off anything growing underneath it.

Sodium Chlorate will keep the land clear for at least 6 months up to a few years, dependant on the strength of the solution you use.
Be careful it does not leech across to anywhere you wish plants to grow.

Sponsored Links
whats the point of poisoning the soil when it can be done without it

firstly do not use any chemicals as it is pointless

when you eventually come to do the gravelling, level the ground with spades and rakes etc.

then lay down a weed preventing membrane like plantex or mypex..ie the best you can afford..it is basically a plastic membrane with holes in it which allows water to drain through but doesnt allow weeds to grow up through it.

then pour your gravel over the top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back