How to connect basket strainer to u bend

C

Coniferman

This is probably Mickey Mouse but I have already bought one "wrong part" so hopefully someone can tell me what I need.

I bought a new basket strainer. It is not as deep as the old one as it does not have overflow or pop-up. The old one had both but not used.

The new one looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KITCHEN-SINK-..._Plumbing_MJ&hash=item56446ef953#ht_615wt_698

It will connect to a u-bend which has an outside thread. The outer diameter (above the thread) is measured as 50mm.

With the strainer in place the gap between the bottom of the strainer and the top of the ubend is 90mm. (give or take a washer)

I don't know if this is a standard requirement and someone can tell me what I need???

What the old system had was a piece of tube (40mm outer diameter) with a groove 6mm from the top. A plastic nut pulled the groove up to connect to the basket and a 2nd nut had a rubber washer to connect to the u-bend.

I guess one solution would be a longer 40mm tube with the groove. An additional problem is the nut that connected to the old strainer is too tall. There are less threads on the new one so it wont go all the way.

I have THAT diy warehouse not far away.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can change the trap and fit a adjustable one giving you the option of height.
98916.jpg

or use a extension come in different lengths.
but i think the longest is 75mm.
19305.jpg

or use a combination of both.

Thanks for the reply.

I think part of the problem is the trap is for a 1.5 bowl sink. This changes the connection from what is shown in the first picture to one with an outer thread (like the right hand side of the extender picture) Also the nut on the extender looks like the nut that connects to my old basket but is too tall for the new basket which has less threads. (maybe I just need the right washer?) Or is there such a thing as a low profile connecting nut?

Maybe I'll have to take the whole thing for someone to look at but even then unless the right part exists it might be tricky?

Sponsored Links
Give us a pic.

even a 1 1/2 bowl sink waste trap will fit your new waste.
these are standard threads.
this is what i have on my sink and have fitted to many others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back