1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How to connect outside tap to MDPE

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by David Milligan, 17 Aug 2021.

1. David Milligan

David Milligan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have run 25mm MDPE under a new patio to bottom of garden and need some advice on how to connect to an outside tap while retaining the tap.

Is this a DIY task or should I just get a plumber in.

image.jpg

2. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'll need to connect it to the pipe feeding the tap or fit a different tap with exposed pipework on the outside. It will also need a double check valve inside if you don't already have one.

Not particularly difficult but not really straightforward.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The first prolonged below zero spell there is that'll burst. That and it needs covered or placed into a duct if it's to be above ground. MDPE is not UV stable and isn't really designed to be used above ground.

How does the tap connect to the water supply, is the connection on the other side of the wall or a compression fitting below the tap, cant tell as the pic is head on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bullet-Proof_Biscuit

Bullet-Proof_Biscuit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need a backplate elbow tap, and a mdpe compression male iron for the plastic, and probably a reducing bush to suit the different threads, (unless you get the comp MI with correct thread to suit the new tap. And as above, lag the pipe for frost protection.
    Oh wait one post wonder, should've just said no lol

6. Sponsored Links
  7. David Milligan

David Milligan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice, I managed to do it myself connecting MDPE to copper below the patio.