How to connect the copper pipe with lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a burst pipe (steel) which is between the copper pipe and lead pipe. These pipes are located between the external stopcock and internal stopcock. Now, the plumber has to cut the steel pipe and connect the copper pipe and lead pipe. My insurance sent a plumber contractor, who seems not sure about connection of the copper and lead. I have to be cautions for this in case the connection is burst again. Any good plumbers have any advices?

Sponsored Links
As this is obviously a mains water connection then technically anyone working on the pipe should be registered under the water regulations 1999 or the work should be inspected by a water supply co inspector.

Of course the reality is that many regulations are not correctly followed and much work is done by unqualified people.

But if you pay a minimum insurance premium you have to accept a less than perfect service unless you are one of those people who like making a lot of fuss!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your comment. If I understand you correctly, some "plumber"s with trade licence are not qualified to do the main water connection. Does that mean the plumber service sector is in a mess. Any one who does not qualified can be a so-called plumber? For Level 2 certificate and NVQ, a requirement to do the different metal joint is included( I just checked the book). Who can I trust in this third world UK?

As this is obviously a mains water connection then technically anyone working on the pipe should be registered under the water regulations 1999 or the work should be inspected by a water supply co inspector.

Of course the reality is that many regulations are not correctly followed and much work is done by unqualified people.

But if you pay a minimum insurance premium you have to accept a less than perfect service unless you are one of those people who like making a lot of fuss!

Tony

Thank you. Does that mean the plumber service sector is in a mess. Any one who does not qualified can be a so-called plumber? ). Who can I trust in this third world UK?

[

Tony
[/quote] The only people you can trust are those on this forum :LOL: You are so right about third world little britain ;)

Be extra careful using a leadloc. I hear of someone cutting a lead pipe under a floor recently, using a hacksaw, unfortuantley for him it wasn't a lead mains. It was a lead sleeved incoming mains electricity supply........

Be extra careful using a leadloc. I hear of someone cutting a lead pipe under a floor recently, using a hacksaw, unfortuantley for him it wasn't a lead mains. It was a lead sleeved incoming mains electricity supply........

That was a dynorod guy. He got some pretty bad injuries from it too.

Pity Rhino dodd didn`t issue him with a "voltstick" and a safety earthing " jump lead" then :rolleyes: . I wonder if they still pay 10% of the job total as wages to direct employees . That`s the deal I was offered some years ago - I was just being nosey as to what the "big boys" were doing @ the time . Bare lead incomer :confused: I thought they had a wrapping of cloth/tar that had to be cut back for jointing. - One for the sparks forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back