How to convert a garage. PLSPLSPLSPLS some info pls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,newbe so bare with me please.

We are paying for a contractor to convert our garage...we have no idea about what need to be done, but we would like to ensure it is done properly, can some one please go though all the aspects of buliding a garage....like

Wall insulating..doe sit need another layer or brick or just studs can you help.

Also can you advise us about the damp proofing does this need to be done through out the garage etc...

What if any are the other stages please.
Any answers would be very helpful.

Natasha

Sponsored Links
what specific questions do you need answering?

building control will be interested in things like:

adequate foundation concrete, should you need to brick up the garage door. 100mm cavity wall, dpc, with full fill dritherm cavity batts plus housing ties at recc' distances. 150mm end bearings to the proprietary steel lintel. trickle vents to the window plus low 'e' glass.

floor insulation and membrane if necessary.

wall insulation can consist of upright studs with insulation plus vapour membrane and vapour check boards.

adequate linteling for the knock through.

part p electrics.

trv's on the radiator.

waddya wanna know?

Thank you for replying to me that is much appreciated.
Well it is things like the garage floor, doe sit need to be left as it is or does something need doing to it , as the builder said that the garage floor should be much like the floor inside my house so should not need anything doing to it, just sounds a bit iffy to me.... also we thought the walls just needed a layer of blocks for insulation then plater..is this the case??? He was fine with that, but the council said he should do studded walls, which we thought was a lesser thing...what the best way to insulate/double up the walls?

All sounds complicated to me lol...

oh also does the walls need to be damp proofed?

Thank you very much for your help in this matter, as you can imagine when you know nothing about these things and your spending big money it is very scary!!

:)
TA....
NATASHA

the walls can be either stud or masonry. there are no set rules on materials just that you achieve the correct insulation values. a stud wall will not need additional foundations.

there is some logic as to what the builder said about the floor, it will depend upon to what degree of thermal protection you can achieve elsewhere, i.e. walls and roof.

is the floor at the same height or lower than existing?

Sponsored Links
okay great for the info, the garage is lower then the house floor, we step out of our front door (one step) and 45 feet infront of us is our garage door (not the main gaarge door the back of the garage door)
Which is about a foot lower then our house i guess . :)

Thanks for the reply
natasha

So its not attached to the house???

Why do you want to convert it? Into what?

no its not attached, we want to convert it to an en suite bedroom, so my husband who works nights can sleep in peace with the kids waking him up....
eventually we might rent it out and later on in the future join it to the house.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back