How to cover the cable in the channel chased in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, an electrician chiselled out the wall to fix the cable running to a light switch but never came back to fill in the hole. I wonder of somebody could please tell me how this should be repaired as we now want to decorate and paint the wall. Is there a specific product that electricians use to fill the wall after they have chased in the cables? (Pic Attached) Thanks

Attachments

• Light Switch.JPG
    Light Switch.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 386
Sponsored Links
We called an electrician because we could hear cracking (a long time ago now) and he said the cable had broken where it enters the box so he did a repair and left it like that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the recommendation of toupret. Can you just put this straight in or should you cover the cable with something first to shield it? Thanks

Crap repair that. Sticky tape is not renowned as a permanent repair.
Heat shrink sleeving would have been better. But you have what you have.

But you can bung the filler straight in. Any decent filler is fine.

I'm thinking the "electrician" has simply twisted together 2 new lengths of single cable to 'fix' the switch wire and then bound them together using earth coded pvc tape.

Looks like a bodge to me which makes me wonder what it's like inside the switch.

Thanks for the recommendation of toupret. Can you just put this straight in or should you cover the cable with something first to shield it? Thanks
Touprets good about 8 pound in screwfix, though i did not find the Quick dry dried much quicker than the standard Toupret .
Screwfix No nonsense powder filler is just as good i find, its half the cost about 4 pound and sands down easy next day, on your deep hole i would give it at least a day.
Maybe do a first fill then a few hours later a second fill

I think I would have moved the box up
Destroying half of the wall.
Heath shrink repair would've been better.
Electrician know better, but imo this is one of the very few uses of insulating tape, when a cable is slightly scratched and needs a bit of cover.
Nononsense stuff is to avoid like all chinese stuff.

Destroying half of the wall.
Heath shrink repair would've been better.
Electrician know better, but imo this is one of the very few uses of insulating tape, when a cable is slightly scratched and needs a bit of cover.
Nononsense stuff is to avoid like all chinese stuff.
Not half the wall just a couple of inches, proper job, not some half baked cowboy effort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back