How to create a pivoting bike hanger in the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought some simple metal bike hangers to screw to the Garage wall, however i've seen some that pivot so the bike can hang against the wall.
Simple hanger
Pivot Rack.jpg

Pivoting hanger
Rack.jpg
racks.jpg

I'm wondering if i can mount it on some wood, then attach the wood to a batton on the wall using some sort of gate hinge so i can hang the bike, then pivot/swing it the wall to make space.

Any thoughts on the hinges and setup?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
how far out is the pedal/handlebars as that will stop the bike going sideways - Unless you use a batten thick enough to offset the pedal and turn the handlebars
Or are you not worried about that angle
The wall you are fixing to is it single brick

how many bikes are you planing on using with the racks ?

IMO Piano hinge is too weak (not to mention the screw sizes) for holding the weight of a bike, I'd opt for several large door hinges, big screws into 2 lengths of 3x2, but thats not the problem, the problem will be in making the actual bike holding bit.

Also whats you bike worth?
Is it not worth paying for these better brackets than some DIY effort that may fail and drop the bike to the floor - potentially damaging something?

Sponsored Links
Mounted a heavy 40inch plasma on 15" of piano hinge , more than strong enough, thats why they are used on piano to hold huge lumps of hardwood.

I was considering that the bike will be quite a long item producing a downward and pulling away from the wall weight on it rather than just one that is down as a TV would do.
But heck, use whatever the Op wants to use.

I was considering that the bike will be quite a long item producing a downward and pulling away from the wall weight on it rather than just one that is down as a TV would do.
But heck, use whatever the Op wants to use.
Same forces in play and shape is immaterial, bike is about a 1/3 the weight .

Hi there for the replies.
I'm hanging 3 adult and 2 kids bikes.
Not expecting them to go flat against the wall sure to the handlebars.
I thought the same about a piano hinge due to the small screws
Someone pointed out that a fire door is probably heavier than a bike, so will try one of those hinges.
I have have been over thinking the hinge

Mounted a heavy 40inch plasma on 15" of piano hinge , more than strong enough, thats why they are used on piano to hold huge lumps of hardwood.
Out of interest how is the piano hinge used for this TV mount?

Board secure to wall (fireplace alcove), hinge used to attach 1m wide board to wall board and tv secured to board using tv bracket , allowed tv to swing out from alcove while in use the tuck back in alcove when not required.

How wide is the wall you're planning to use?

You could attach four non pivot ones to the left and right walls so they are close to the wall you were planning to hang them on , if you hang them almost in a vertical line putting one adult bike on the top bracket and one kids bike on the bottom one turned upside down , that would sort out four bikes.

That way you have only one to make pivot or simply place the last bike against the wall

it would be worth looking at using a resign filled hole and bolts, if using 3x2 or more on the wall - I fixed a 3x3 post and a large width 6ft high Gate to the side of house and the gate was used every day swinging and the bolts were great, I had tried lots of different fixings but they all came loose.

i know have a new house and did the same, this time had to use a 4x4 post , but gate only used rarely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back