how to create georgian style plasterwork corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make an archway that uses sort of rounded wooden beading on the corners-a forerunner i guess of modern angle bead,-It has to match existing old plasterwork,and I wonder if anyone knows what the method of making and fixing this type of corner was?

Sponsored Links
Used to have it in my old house.
Cross section was like this:
and it was nailed onto timber wedges in the brick mortar

Guess you'd have to route it out. Quick google hasn't provided a supplier though.

thanks dextrous.thats exactly the sort of thing. I can make up the section,just need to figure out how to make the arch,which has a mixture of gentle and tight radius's.I can see this being quite a tricky little job!

thanks dextrous.thats exactly the sort of thing. I can make up the section,just need to figure out how to make the arch,which has a mixture of gentle and tight radius's.I can see this being quite a tricky little job!
If you can make a template out of ply, I suppose you could steam the timber and shape it by squeezing it using the template ( male and female sections)

Sponsored Links
25mm x 25mm finished timber, routered both sides with half round bit, set to right depth should achieve your finish and back notched to suit profile you need, notching will be lost in plastering

I sure they were done with cane, like the wicker chair type cane.

Thanks Dextrous,Dave and Marshman-looks do-able then-v.interested about the cane thing-now that does sound intriguing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back