How to create nice clean cut outs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A general question this ... just wondering how does one best make nice clean cut outs in wood? eg. if I want to make a 100mm x 50mm aperture in a piece of 25mm mdf, at the moment I drill out the four corners and then use a jigsaw which invariably ends up looking a bit shabby. Not only do the lines of the cut out never look particularly straight, but the cut edge is never vertical either. I know my jigsaw is pretty second rate anyway, but I get the impression that most jigsaw work is hard to get looking really good.

What is the pro way? Using a router? In which case, what kind of bit do you use, and is there any tool out there that would quickly make a frame to guide the router around the necessary dimensions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
at the very least:

use a finer toothed jigsaw blade

cut the work upside down, using a blade where the teeth point upwards, don't use a downwards toothed blade

push the jigsaw more slowly through the work

use a straightedge butted up against the jigsaw base plate to ensure you run in a straight line

I shall give all those a go ... especially using a fence ... stupidly never really crossed my mind.

One final jigsaw question ... on mine there is a 4 level setting which the pictures seem to imply alters the amount the blade swings forwards and backwards ... any advice on what settings are used in what applications? Instruction manual long lost!

Sponsored Links
Make a template and use a template profile cutter in the router.
Do the roughing out with what ever you have available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back