How to Cut a Drip Groove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 100+yr old Victorian house that doesn't have drip grooves in the 2 Bay Windows. I've only just noticed after the recent downpour that water is definitely tracking back onto the bricks underneath the bay window sill. The sills seem to be painted concrete.

Question is what is the best way to retrofit a drip groove into the underside of the sill?

Sponsored Links
I have a 100+yr old Victorian house that doesn't have drip grooves in the 2 Bay Windows. I've only just noticed after the recent downpour that water is definitely tracking back onto the bricks underneath the bay window sill. The sills seem to be painted concrete.

Question is what is the best way to retrofit a drip groove into the underside of the sill?

what's the cill made of?

Cutting a groove in concrete upside down won't be easy. How about the reverse? Fix a 6 mm square length of sacrificial hardwood where the groove would go? Same effect, change every few years as needed. I'd not want to drill it- might end up with a chunk of cill on the flor.

In a similar vein you could run a bead on silicone on the underside, you'd probably need to renew every year.

Sponsored Links
Cutting a groove in concrete upside down won't be easy. How about the reverse? Fix a 6 mm square length of sacrificial hardwood where the groove would go? Same effect, change every few years as needed. I'd not want to drill it- might end up with a chunk of cill on the flor.

Not a bad idea, attach with Epoxy Resin and paint with Dulux Gloss?

Make sure the glue is continuous (not dots) or water will capillary action through under it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back