How to cut a slate slab (and how difficult is it)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

An old slate slab has come up that I would like to use for a kitchen worktop. It's from an old snooker table and is 30mm thick.

I'll need to cut it roughly in the first instance so that I can move it and fit it into the car. I can then cut it more precisely once the unit is made and I have exact details.

I've never done it before... For a rough cut and at that thickness, what would be best to use? I have got:

- a large circular saw (are they all capable of cutting stone with the correct blade or are some machines for wood only)?
- a mini circular saw (Worx)
- an angle grinder (but with no discs so would need to buy whatever would be suitable).

Hoping to collect tomorrow, so any advice would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't you need a water cooled saw? Doesn't seem very DIY to me, not sure spraying a hose pipe on an angle grinder or circular saw is a good idea. Do you need to cut a bit out for the sink - how on earth would you do that neatly?

I'm afraid I have no answers to your questions! :) I was hoping people on here might be able to enlighten me.

I did like the image of the hose pipe though. Perhaps if I where wellies I'd be well enough isolated and protected from any kind of shock. And I'd keep my socks dry. Win-win!

I think I'd have to agree with Freddie - using an electric tool with water is just asking for trouble. In comparison to granite, though, slate isn't particularly hard so up to about 1in thickness it can be cut dry with an angle grinder and a diamond cutting disc. I did this on a slate bar top once so we could install some extra beer engines. It was quite dusty, so a mask and goggles are an absolute must - just don't risk throwing water on it!

I've never polished slate edges so I'm not sure about polishing them. I suspect that because it is soft you might be able to do the job with something like silicone carbide paper. That might be worth a try. TBH the last time I had a piece of stone cut down (granite) I took it to a local fireplace firm who cut it to size for me and repolished the edges on their wet polishing machine. Monumental masons can sometimes do this as well (or at least they'll know who can)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I've had success polishing quartz. So you should be able to do slate the same way.

I cut to size with a diamond disc, then used a belt sander to flat the edge, I then bought one of those marble polishing kits from Ebay £16, the ones that the pads are a different colour and velcro'd to a backing pad... I bodged it onto a cordless drill with a nut and piece of threaded bar.
Go through the pads, a few minutes with each, wetting as you go, with a spray... you can get a nice smooth finish... glass like on Quartz.

In the end, I wasn't able to get that particular piece but will have the need to cut slate in the future so all really helpful stuff that I'll refer back to

Many thanks one and all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back