Cutting slabs of slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a step outside the back door and i've bought some slate to top it off. It's from B&Q and called 'natural quarry green slate' and is about 1" thick. I need to cut about 1" off the last slab.

I was thinking of cutting a groove into it with a grinder, then breaking it with a hammer and bolster chisel. I don't have any diamond grinder discs, so i doubt the one's i have would last!

Would this method work?

Sponsored Links
Well, it might. Not much help, I know, but you could get lucky. Obviously the deeper your groove the better chance you have of success. Make sure the groove is aligned with a hard edge underneath it (say, the edge of a kerb) so that all the force gets directed along the cut. Be prepared to nip back to B&Q for a replacement.

i doubt it either, its normally tough as old boots!

Sponsored Links
I realised that my £25 tile cutter had a diamond coated disc on it. Whipped that onto the grinder and it went through the slate like a hot knife through butter :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back