How to deal with damaged Artex ceiling (Asbestos?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently suffered water damage to a wall and ceiling in a bedroom in my 1970s built flat from a leak elsewhere in the building. While waiting to get someone in to fix it, I tidied up the damage, cut the plasterboard off the walls and pulled down the damaged area of ceiling (some had already come down of its own accord) to try and get rid of the damp smell; the leak went on for some time so there was a lot of mould. I've now realised that the artexed ceiling almost certainly has white asbestos in it. The building is mainly social housing, although I own my flat and I happened to bump into a woman doing an asbestos survey for the tenanted flats which she said have white asbestos in the ceiling artex. Based on mine being identical in construction to the other flats in the building, it seems a certainty that I have it.

I'm now in the position that I've got debris on the floor of the bedroom as I hadn't finished clearing up when I made this discovery. I've also used a vacuum cleaner as part of the clearing up I have done which with hindsight seems like a bad thing.

Quite how bad is this and what can I do now to clear up the room? Is this something I need to get an asbestos removal company involved in? What might need to be done before I can get someone in to fix the room?

I'd be grateful to hear any advice or insight...

Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
Wipe everything with damp rags and bag them before throwing away.
Do it for a few days in a row.
Asbestos in artex is the least dangerous and limited exposure doesn't kill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back