How to dismantle cast iron spiral staircase spindle and rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm trying to dismantle a cast iron spiral staircase and I'm not sure how to detach the spindles from the rail. There seems to be holes in the rail and a spike on the end of the spindles. The spike goes through the hole and it seems to have then been welded so the hole is not visible from the top of the handle rail.

Please see the attached picture of my rail
//www.diynot.com/network/benners/albums/

and the link below shows the same staircase as mine dismantled so I know how it can come apart.
http://www.ukarchitecturalantiques.com/stockimages/3783_2.jpg

Any assistance on how I detach the spindles from the rail would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I believe the nuts on the underside of the spindles need to be removed first.
This will allow the spindles to unscrew from the handrail by twisting them.
Once the handrail is loose it can be lifted off allowing the spindles to be removed.

Thanks for your suggestion. The bolts have been removed but the spindles don't screw into the hand rail they just have a spike on the end which fits into a hole in the rail which seems to be welded in place. I've tried turning them but they don't seem to want to budge and I don't want to force it.

Would heating it up with a blow torch help? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back