Staircase spindles / rail

Update. Got the varnish on top, and I am all happy with this. The odd little bubble on the underside, grrrr (stuff is hard to put on!) Gonna prob just stain over these bubbles to hide them, they are all on the underside. Top looks great.

Prepping before spindles;

Now, I got the first coat on the spindles etc. Used Zinseer Bin, to prevent mahoganny bleeding through. Only got one coat on it, now I have a question. I am going to be using Johnstone Aqua Water Based Satin finish for these spindles, and also for all the other woodwork. Should I apply a 2nd coat of Zinseer Bin, or can I use the Johnstone Aqua Water Based Undercoat and then apply the satin paint ?? I only ask because I dont have much Zinseer Bin left and will have to buy more of it, where as I am using the Johnstone undercoat for all the existing woodwork and will have plenty to cover these spindles. Will I be able to use this undercoat on top of B-I-N ??

Also, should I be light sanding with 400 grit inbetween these coats?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Anyone know about this? Just to clarify, can I paint Johnstones aqua undercoat on top of 1 coat of zinseer bin before applying my finishing johnstone aqua satinwood of 1-2 coats. I just want to know what is going to give the best results. Am i better to just use 2 coats of BIN and then apply finishing satinwood or, 2 coats bin, 1 undercoat, 1-2 finish? Just not sure ! Looking to get on with this tomorrow.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Well spoke to Johnstones guy in the decorating centre and he suggested I only needed 1 coat of BIN then undercoat. However I decided to put a 2nd coat, as I didnt want to risk parts bleeding through down the line, as it looked like the one coat did not fully cover up the stain below. So yea got 2nd coat on, and looking good. Cracking on with undercoat today.

Oh and I have just did a light sand with 180 grit in between coats. Think its best thing to do.

P.S - painting spindles is demoralising. And I have only got 30 to paint! I have read others with alot more!

looking good I would flatten it off with a second coat of undercoat. Aqua doesn't coat that brilliantly in one coat, not saying it's not a good paint, just one of its characteristics.
Could you also tell me what stain and varnish you used, I have a similar project to do in the near future and like the colour and finish

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I dont think it needs a 2nd undercoat as there is 2 coats of BIN on it. It is looking good and I am going to put finish coat on it today, all being well. Doing lots of undercoat on all other trim in hallway at the moment, which will def need 2 coats of undercoat.

The stain I used was Johnstones Trade woodworks Satin Woodstain in Rosewood. Very happy with it.

yeah looks like you have done a good job and it looks nice and flat and even.

Just a little update for anyone interested. I only put one top coat on it and it looks great. I have been cracking on with getting other things done. Got under stairs wall plastered (got a pro for that!) and trimmed. and ive now got the mist coat on all the walls. Wew, im all painted out.

We will be carpeting stairs.

This is the new plastered wall. Still need to obv paint wall and paint trim, which is just all pre primed MDF stuff. Also the door is either going to be painted white or stained in the dark. Not decided yet. Will prob decide once walls all painted. I am thinking prob white, as the other doors will be white, so might look a bit odd in the dark.

Anyway I am prob gonna go make a thread in projects or something if anyone is interested, as the rest of work I am doing isn't just on this staircase.

Looking superb, personally i would paint the big post and the hand rail in white as well, and the under stair door in white.

Its rosewood though, not black. It is dark mind you, but its exactly what I wanted in the end. Personal preference!

You made the rght choice; all white staircases were an 80s fad. It hurts my eyes!

Attachments

• IMG_20150428_180531.jpg
    IMG_20150428_180531.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 169

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back