Staircase spindles / rail

Yes applying Zinnser, hoping 2 coats would do it.

Robbie, could you expand a bit about adding walnut stain? How so? How much should I be adding etc?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Oh forgot to ask. Regarding top coat paint for spindles. As I am applying Zinseer, Was looking at getting crown trade paint, because I think its better quality? Should I be going for eggshell or acrylic eggshell ?

Ok Update. I have put this project off for so long due to many life commitments, but I finally have started at last!

I ended up going for dark stain. I used "Johnstones Trade Woodworks Satin Woodstain" in Rosewood. I have applied two coats, and the colour looks great. Due to my amateur skills its gonna need another coat. However it currently is not as smooth as it was when it was all sanded down. Couple areas feel rough, and most of it feels smooth. Is there something I am doing wrong here? I rubbed it all down with white spirit before application and waited 24 hours between coats.

Sanded all down;

2 coats

Close ups;

I was going to sand with a very fine grit, is that a bad idea as it has now two coats of stain on it? Cannot seem to find much advice on sanding between coats of stain.

Anyone recommend what to do to get a smooth finish?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The first time bare wood gets wet, the grain raises. You then have to sand it smooth, so when it gets wet again (e.g. when you apply some stain) the grain no longer raises. It sound like you may have missed this step. You can sand gently between stains, but try to get everything looking even all over, otherwise you will see the areas that weren't sanded as much as others. Use fine paper (600 grade will probably do) just to take the surface roughness off.

When you come to do the spindles, dampen them with water first to raise the grain. Once dry, sand them smooth (I use 400 grade for this myself). Then they're ready for staining.

Last edited:
I sanded it all back and it was all smooth, rubbed down with white spirit and then applied woodstain. Perhaps not smooth enough? I used 240 grit at end.

If I start to sand and smooth I am going to need to put quite a few coats again ? Is 240 grit too harsh, I need to go as fine as 600 ?

I am painting the spindles, not staining.

If I start to sand and smooth I am going to need to put quite a few coats again ?
No, if you use fine grit just to take the tiny knobbles off, I would expect one coat of stain to be enough.

Is 240 grit too harsh
Yes. You would probably get away with 400 grit though, if you eventually wax or varnish the banister. Do not sand through the stain; just flatten the tiny imperfections in the surface at the moment. Gentle hand rubbing, that's all.

Yes I was considering putting varnish on top. So just flatten imperfections, apply final coat of stain? What varnish you recommend for this? Is POLYURETHANE the best for this?

Thanks for fast reply btw.

What varnish you recommend for this? Is POLYURETHANE the best for this?
I don't know much about varnish, as I tend to wax everything. Certainly a lot of people swear by poly. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Last edited:
as said de-nib it back with 400 grit. I would wax it, that way it will age to a natural patina with use, but if you want it to keep that pristine look then a mat warmish would probably be the way to go, but it may discolour over time.

Yup got 3rd coat on after de-nib sanding, and im very happy. Its turned out pretty smooth indeed. I thought varnish would make it more hard wearing than wax would, but honestly don't know much about it. Before applying varnish/wax etc, how long should I wait to allow paint to fully set etc before applying. I know it "dries" in 16-24 hours.

Also, should I apply varnish before I start on spindle paint work? I had not started spindles untill I got staining done, as you can get drips etc. No problem as I can sand out them before painting if I miss any bits I didint get wiped when it was wet. Will be applying Zinseer Bin as undercoat.

Thanks

should be ok after 24 hours and then I would get it varnished as soon as possible before grubby hands get all over it. Also I would varnish before painting as any paint getting into the grain pattern would require some hard sanding to remove, whereas the zinseer would probably undercoat fine over a bit of varnish residue.
Looks good by the way, I am just about to do similar to revive a 100 year old newel top and handrail, would love to see the finished article

Gonna get varnish on this weekend. Quick question. The wood stain I used was solvent based. Do I need to apply solvent based varnish or can I use water based varnish, ie quick dry stuff? was just gonna use the Johnstones Polyurethane Varnish or Quick Dry Polyurethane Varnish.

Top trick I was taught is to use a fine grade wire wool. Make up a golf ball and run it over the whole rail keeping with the grain.

It takes out nibs, smooths and keys perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back