How to drain a patio with no rainwater gulleys or soakaways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if this is in the right place as it relates to patios, drains, gardens..

Here is the problem. We own a mid terrace in a group of 3 properties built in 1992. The 2 end terraces have the down-pipes that collect rainwater from the roof. No downpipe, surface water drainage on my property in the middle of the terrace.

I am planning some patio lanscaping in the back garden and need some advice on how to drain it. It is quite a small garden (3Mtr Wide x 5 Mtrs deep) not really much room for a "rain garden".
We live in an area with Devon clay soil, soakaways not really an option.

There is a small inspection chamber next to the back of the house, but this is for foul waste, so I doubt I could drain the patio into this.

Looking for idea's really. Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the manhole is foul only and not a combined sewer?
I would recommend contacting the local water authority who should be able to tell you if it's a combined sewer or not and if you could drain into it. The manhole maybe part of a public sewer (does waste from any other house flow through it?) in which case there maybe a fee for connecting a new pipe into it.

failing to find a storm drain to tap into. A soakaway is a option. Unless you'd like to create a bailing hole i'd just form a soakaway under you new patio. Keeping it as far as pos into the garden!!

Sponsored Links
Homeowners are 'encouraged' to drain all rainwater within the boundaries of the property.

However this is not a strict rule. Soakaways are always the first option.

Storm systems are the next.

Where the first two can not be incorporated then it is acceptable for a combined system to be in operation.

I would say a mid terrace with clay sub-soil is a candidate for a combined foul/storm system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back