How To Drill 2 Holes In Tile For Shower Mixer Pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a couple of holes in a standard ceramic/glazed tile, for the two 15mm pipes to pass through for shower mixer. I need to drill the tile before fixing it in place.

Can I use 16 or 18mm SDS masonry bits, possibly starting with smaller sizes, and working up? If not, what should I do it with? I don't want to spend a fortune for a one-off job.

Also, some tiles will be on plasterboard. Should I seal with PVA to help tile adhesive?

Sponsored Links
saying that for that size of hole and that type of tile ,i would just be using a heavy hammer and a 4oz pin hammer.

B&Q do a range of tile drill bits that are exactly what you need and won't break the bank - they can be a bitch to start off though, so make a guide with a scrap piece of wood or plastic to make it easier to drill the tile where you want it.

And no to the PVA.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

The lochboy might not be ideal, beecause its 2 holes in the same tile, not too far from the edge.

Does the B&Q cutter have a drill in the centre to start it off?

Got a pack of 3 tile cutters from b&q, this one had a drill to start them off with.

When drilling my tiles i started by marking the tiles, and then starting with just the drill bit, then when hole was started i fit the hole cutter, and start to slowly drill. When the large hole is started remove the drill bit and carry on the large hole, remember to use plenty of water.

Might not be the correct way in doing it but works fine for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back