How to drill a hole in a tricky-to-align place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a hole with a centre where the edge of another hole is. How could I hold the drill in the right place or otherwise make this hole without the bit slipping towards the other hole?

I need a 25mm hole with its centre at the back of the hole in the middle of the pictured triangle.

Attachments

• 20210419_172539.jpg
    20210419_172539.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
Centre punch, then small drill first.
It would be better done with a pillar drill, rather than a hand held drill.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you mean the centre of the new hole is literally on the edge of the existing hole, like this...

upload_2021-4-21_23-0-29.png

If so, no amount of clamping will prevent the centre drill trying to wander into the hole and pulling the holesaw off centre. File a groove to allow the centre drill somewhere to go(see below), then use a method already mentioned to guide the new hole on target.

upload_2021-4-21_23-5-52.png

OOI, how come we can't see through the centre hole?

if its a one off then consider a half inch drill centre punched in a triangular pattern then nibble and file to shape
but as said a template and holesaw if many need doing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back