How to extend a soil pipe to reach the toilet outlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busy fitting a new toilet, and the soil pipe comes out of the floor and has a big thick concrete collar around it .. which I don’t want to have to remove for fear of damage to the soil pipe altogether.

I removed the old fashioned toilet and fitting a back to wall and boxing in the cistern.

I’m reusing the old 90 degree connector because it just fits the soil pipe better and deeper than any new one I’ve tried, and the part meeting the toilet is the same length as any others. But, it isn’t long enough to reach the outlet pipe on the new toilet, which sits further forward than the old toilet. Can’t move the toilet any further back due to the concrete collar. I bought this particular toilet as it was the one that would fit further back than any others.

I bought two different brands/sizes of flexible connectors, but they don’t work as the natural maximum bend on both of them end up much higher than the toilet outlet.

Went to City Plumbing with my problem, and they advised that I use a straight rigid WC connector WC CON1 between the 90 degree connector and the toilet outlet.

Tried this, but it leaks when flushing .. not immediately .. but a small container catches water shortly afterwards. I’m suspecting that the water is sitting inside the straight connector, and then leaking. I’m also worried that “stuff!” won’t flush away using this method.

Also, the short straight connector has a thin plastic ring (with a break in it) inside where the black rubber seal is, I’ve just removed that .. and not sure of its purpose.

Can anyone advise if there is another way to tackle this problem?
Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Photo would help, there are ways around it, but reusing an old pan connector is always a recipe for disaster, they are virtually guaranteed to leak. (As you've probably found out...)

Why would people remove parts just because you dont know what their purpose is.

Hi Hugh
Thanks so much for your reply.

I found some info on the thin plastic ring, and it seems it might be a specific design for MacAlpine .. which is fair enough. The ring doesn’t seem broken, but it’s not continuous, so presumably that’s the way it is, and it’s back inside the black seal. I’ll go to the hardware store and look at another one just to check they’re all the same.

I didn’t remove it to not use it, only noticed it when cleaning it, but the water seemed to be sitting in the bit just behind the black rubber seal part of the WC CON1 connector, and the actual leak seemed to come from where the CON1 joined to the original 90 degree pipe.

City Plumb advised me to insert the finned part into the 90 degree pipe which would extend it to reach the toilet, and that should work.

I thought there was a slight decline, but maybe it’s not sufficient.

The toilet is rimless and the short flush is pretty poor in my view, so I’m wondering if the flush isn’t powerful enough to push all the water through? Just a thought.

Meanwhile after a lot of Googling this morning, I came across a Multikwik Multilink MKL1. Might this be worth a try? ie a better tighter fit that the fins.

I have attached some photos which might give you an idea what’s happening.

1-2-3 Original toilet & connector

4 MacAlpine CON1 straight rigid connector

5-6 Multikwik Multilink

7 new toilet in place

Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.

B.

Attachments

• 1 Original toilet.jpg
    1 Original toilet.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 2 original toilet 90 degree.jpg
    2 original toilet 90 degree.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 3 original toilet 90 degree.jpg
    3 original toilet 90 degree.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 4 - CON1 Straight rigid connector.jpg
    4 - CON1 Straight rigid connector.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 5 Multikwik Multilink WC Connector MKL1.jpg
    5 Multikwik Multilink WC Connector MKL1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 6 MKL1 in place.jpg
    6 MKL1 in place.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 7 new toilet in place.jpg
    7 new toilet in place.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Hi Hugh
Thanks so much for your reply.

I found some info on the thin plastic ring, and it seems it might be a specific design for MacAlpine .. which is fair enough. The ring doesn’t seem broken, but it’s not continuous, so presumably that’s the way it is, and it’s back inside the black seal. I’ll go to the hardware store and look at another one just to check they’re all the same.

I didn’t remove it to not use it, only noticed it when cleaning it, but the water seemed to be sitting in the bit just behind the black rubber seal part of the WC CON1 connector
If you look at the section after the black rubber seal it is lower so there will always be a pool of water there.

It will leak, mo matter what.
Remove the old pan connector, clean the pipe on the floor and fit a new one.
Mcalpine has a large range of connectors and extensions, just a matter of finding the correct combination.

McAlpine stuff is good quality, rare it'll leak if installed correctly. I think you need to use the setup you've pictured in 5-6, that will do the job and wont leak if fitted as intended. The rubber seals do just that, seal the joint. Removing them is A. Pointless, and B. will cause it to leak.....

Thankyou everyone for your advice and comments, I really do appreciate your time and I'm glad I asked the questions. I'm going to go with the 5-6 picture, accept that there will always be some water in the first connector, and I'm feeling very confident that it will work this time. Thankyou.

Yes, it's an old toilet, fitted with a silver seat (plastic not sterling) but sadly not older than me either. There's a matching sink too ... and a lovely home made unit (pic). I'm going to donate them all to the museum. House was built early 70s, and I'm sure these are the originals, so 50 years old!! Also available in pink and olive green methinks.
Wonder what my new one will be replaced with in 50 years time haha. Cheers all. B.

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 70
Probably are the originals, if you can get them out intact, there is sometimes a market for the retro sanitaryware, some people actually do still like the coloured suites, and look for a replacement item if one piece of their suite is damaged, rather than replace the entire suite with, well any colour you like as long as it's white....

Afraid the chances of your new stuff lasting 50 years are probably as rare as sky blue bathrooms now.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back