How to extend wire to fit end of ceiling light track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Want to fit a 1.2m lighting track to my kitchen ceiling. I believe the wire connection is to the end of the fitting. But the ceiling hole I have would be mid-way along the track ie in the wrong place. What is the best / neatest solution to extend the wire to the appropriate location? I don't want to change the hole in the ceiling, for lots of reasons! See my brilliant photoshop:

ceiling:

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0113a.jpg

the track I want to buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111773769863?

I think this is the part that connects the wiring to the end of the track:

%252524_57-1.JPG

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You could fit a ceiling rose over the hole where the cables emerge, and either;
1) Fish a wire above the ceiling from the rose to the fitting.
2) Have a 3 core flex coming through the outlet in the rose and neatly draped into the end of the fitting.

Neither will look fantastic, but will get you out of trouble.

You could just buy a more suitable light fitting.

Or fit the new light fitting diagonally across the ceiling and crack on it's fashionable to do that.

You could fit a ceiling rose over the hole where the cables emerge, and either;
1) Fish a wire above the ceiling from the rose to the fitting.
2) Have a 3 core flex coming through the outlet in the rose and neatly draped into the end of the fitting.

Neither will look fantastic, but will get you out of trouble.

You could just buy a more suitable light fitting.
Thanks. Can you offer advice as to a more suitable fitting though? The problem is the property has exceedingly high ceilings, and a single pendant is insufficient. The fixture I took down was a large round dish shape with stick either side with lamps on, but looked horrible. It's open plan living room / kitchen (london flat). I will use your 3 core flex outlet idea if all else fails. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get a fitting with spots on it where the cable can enter any part of it.

It may be a shorter fitting though.

Just get a track that allows a central power feed such as this range. You can cut in the power connector anywhere along the length of the track.

Ah. I thought that was just to join two tracks together. Did.t know that it had a power connector there too. Thanks.

Do you have some architectural features, or works of art, etc, that you want to pick out with spotlight beams? Or do you want to properly light the room?
No, but I though those lamps LED in my original link were ok at lighting up surfaces. A Single pendant bulb doesn't really work, and like the said the ceilings are over 3 metres high. Here's a pic of layout more or less (has worktop over the fridge & freezer where the chair is, as well as over the washing machine). It had similar spot light thing before which kind of worked ok.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-12-22%252520at%25252013.43.50.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back