Ceiling rose for three circuit lighting track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking about suspended track lighting with three circuits and hence 5 wires - L1, L2, L3, N and E. And specifically how to connect the five core cable at the ceiling.
Is there such a thing as a ceiling rose that will allow three live connections rather than the normal single?

Sponsored Links
I take it you want each track to be switched independently, what have you got at your rose now?

Just as an aside.....

This will only be compliant if the 'lives' are sourced from the same OCPD. Its fine for the supply to be switched by three different switches and then join up again for a common neutral.

What is not OK is for the three 'lives' to come from three different OCPDs and then feed the track via switches - this risks the common neutral being overloaded.

Sponsored Links
I doubt the op is on about TP anyway but I have installed plenty of TP track over the years, some fed from separate MCBs so if one leg tripped the others stayed on, as long as it is designed correctly, should be no problem

So this is in a home extension and there is currently no wiring and single phase. I am speaking with my electrician next week, but want to understand a bit more so I can have an intelligent conversation.

So I guess this is more about how it will look as opposed to the electrical details. I have seen tracks fed by a cable from a normal ceiling rose - I am assuming only a single circuit.

I am guessing this will be a single live at the switches with three switches and hence switched lives going to the track.

The track will have maybe 10 lamps in total - of either 10W or 12W each.

I have seen tracks fed by a cable from a normal ceiling rose - I am assuming only a single circuit.
They were likely all switched at once so no different than a normal ceiling rose.

I am guessing this will be a single live at the switches with three switches and hence switched lives going to the track.
As it's new then you can take the supply cable to the switches and feed the three tracks separately.

That doesn't alter the original question but it will save a few connections at the ceiling needing only SL,N & E (one cable) at each track.

No need for a rose, you could use a five core flex from the switch

OK - Thanks for this as it sounds the most sensible option. Hadn't thought of this as didn't know you could do that. I had assumed that I would need a normal cable in the walls and then join to the flex above the ceiling or in a rose.
So I guess I would have a faceplate with a cable hole for the tidy up where it comes through the ceiling.

Flex can be used in place of "normal" cable, if you make a nice neat hole it would be less noticeable than a faceplate

I have installed plenty of TP track over the years, some fed from separate MCBs so if one leg tripped the others stayed on, as long as it is designed correctly, should be no problem
The problem with that is it doesn't comply with BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back