How to fill gaps in parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put a small amount of parquet flooring down for the first time.

It looks really nice, but annoyingly has a few small gaps around where the border and other pieces meet.

What is the best way to fill these gaps so it is not noticable?

I am reading that mixing sawdust with PVA is a big no no. (Good job I checked, because I was going to do this!)

The parquet is bare oak (very light), which I am intending to put clear mat varnish over to protect it from and water/dirt.

Any advice welcome :)

Sponsored Links
When you sand it collect the dust and mix it with a filler binder such as Lecol 7500 and spread that into gaps in the joints with something like a rubber squeege. Allow to set (it sets fast - 30 minutes to an hour), then resand. Gaps gone. Not the cheapest material, but an excellent product used a lot by parquet floor guys

PVA is problematic as it can always be affected by moisture, it won't take stain well if at all and it can "contaminate" timber next to it if accidentally smeared when filling the gaps. This is especially the case with open pore timbers such as oak. The end result can be horrible whitish patches under clear top coat lacquers, inability to take oil/wax finishes, etc

Thanks. Do you think gaps would be noticable if I use this method?
Also, will it be ok to varnish after?

I dont want oily marks in the wood where i apply it etc.

I recommended Lecol 7500 because I have used it in the past to restore and damaged parquet (after lifting sections in order to route new services) as well as to relay several smaller parquet floors in listed buildings, so I know it works when finishing the floor afterwards with a floor lacquer. It worked well enough for both the client and the conservation officer not to comment (comments = snags to fix as a rule). You will need to sand the floor, though, both before filling (partly in order to get sanding dust) and afterwards (in order to level the surfaces).

Sponsored Links
I ended up with a gap wide enough to lay cork strips along the skirting boards. Worked a treat.

Jenkins also make something similar to the product that @JobAndKnock recommended

It will cost about £20 for 1L.

That said, the Lecol can be purchased in 0.8kg tins.

As an aside, I hate it when some firms sell liquids based on weight rather than volume. 0.8 kg means nothing if you don't know how dense the liquid is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back