How to fill hole in celing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had a boiler replacement which has involved getting rid of some pipework that ran up from the bedroom into the loft. Where the pipes went up into the ceiling the plasterwork was quite flaky and now that they're gone, there is a hole about 6 inches by 1-2 inches.

The hole goes right into the loft - what is the best way to fill this?

Sponsored Links
Matt,
Because the hole goes through the bedroom ceiling and into the loft,the repair can be carried out in the loft.I don't know what your ceiling is made of,but whether it is lath and plaster or p/board just clear away any dust/debris around the hole, give the area a little damp down/pva,mix up a small amount of plaster and apply all around the hole,and then bed on a piece of p/board to cover the hole.LET IT SET! Go down to the bedroom,scrape away any flaky/loose plaster/paint etc,lightly damp down/pva, and fill up the patch with plaster, level with the surrounding ceiling,maybe leaving 1mm or 2 if that, for the finish.If the plaster is deep,you can bring it down a bit first by again, sticking on carefully (with plaster), another piece of p/board to the underside,and then plaster it down flush. I would suggest using Bonding Coat plaster to fill up the hole and finish off with Multi-Finish.Maybe you could "borrow some" from a friendly plasterer for all you would need. ;)

Roughcaster.

Hi all,

I've just had a boiler replacement which has involved getting rid of some pipework that ran up from the bedroom into the loft. Where the pipes went up into the ceiling the plasterwork was quite flaky and now that they're gone, there is a hole about 6 inches by 1-2 inches.

The hole goes right into the loft - what is the best way to fill this?
I think the quickest way is 2x1. when the damage is no were by a joist. square it-off of the best you can. cut a piece of p/board to fit. lets say the hole is 12"x12" cut two pieces of 2x1 @ 18" poke them trough the whole lay flat & fix with a few screws either end from below,Now fix p/board & skim

Sponsored Links
With a bigger hole in a ceiling or wall I would also use timber and plasterboard,but with a small hole 6"x 1 to 2inches,it is far simpler to cover the hole with plaster and p/board,and plaster it flush.No measuring,no screws,no 2x1's, no skimming.Everyone has their own method.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back