how to fill water-damaged kitchen worktop (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Our tap was sinking into the countertop due to water damage, and the problem was getting worse. The tap has been like this since we moved into the apartment, but it was nearly impossible to get the landlord to fix it. So, we came up with a temporary fix ourselves. We covered the tap hole with a metal plate that we purchased from Amazon, which worked wonders. I've attached before and after photos for reference. However, the metal plate isn't large enough to cover some small cracks around the hole. I'm concerned about water seeping through these cracks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent water from getting through these cracks?

Attachments

• 01-before.jpg
    01-before.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 02-after.jpeg
    02-after.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 03-crack.jpeg
    03-crack.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 04-crack.jpeg
    04-crack.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Choose a silicone that matches closest to either the worktop or the steel plate and seal it with that. If you use masking tape and allow enough of a width to cover it fully then it will smooth down and cover the split.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back