How to find where cable fault is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lady that I know has converted two upstairs bedroons into self contained with electric showers and WC and basins for letting.

She has a partial basement with three CUs and the 6mm T&E shower cables disappear into the underfloor in the basement.

There is no indication of where the cables for the two upstairs showers go and the ground floor covering is laminate.

The supply to the rear bedroom has failed although it is leaving the CU in the basement.

How would a typical electrician try to identify where the shower supply cable has failed without a massive intrusion into the ground floor and wall ? The total cable length is about 5m vertically and 8m horizontally.

Sponsored Links
Most typical failures in shower supplies at the shower isolation switch, typically a pull cord in the bathroom, or a wall switch just outside the bathroom somewhere.

These switches have a tendency to burn out.

It could also be a bad connection somewhere.

No need point in pulling up floors and destroying walls until the obvious things have been checked.

Do you have a two probe voltage tester?

Failures like this can happen happen many years after construction

Let the spark do their investigation and see what they find

Why do you think the cable has failed?

Sponsored Links
How would a typical electrician try to identify where the shower supply cable has failed without a massive intrusion into the ground floor and wall ? The total cable length is about 5m vertically and 8m horizontally.

Various methods to try...

BT would use a gadget which sent a pulse down the line, then measure the time for the reflections to return - time = length to fault.

A signal generator, clipped to a failed wire, then a tuned amp connected to a coil, would allow the cable to be traced to the break.

Likewise, make the cable live, and assuming not buried too deep, or screened by metal, a sensitive voltstick might be able to follow it to the break.

I was wondering how an average electrician would expect to find the problem.

There is a break in the live somewhere.

And no isolator in or near the shower.

Maybe there is a junction box somewhere?

I have seen crazy ass things like switches lying loose under floors and in loft spaces, etc.....

Reactions: CBW
There could well be but totally out of sight under floors or behind walls.

I was wondering how an average electrician would expect to find the problem.

There is a break in the live somewhere.

There is a similar thread on here, somewhere, where the OP has had 'electricians and plumbers' out to quote for repairing. Rather than looking to find the fault, they have simply quoted to scrap the whole system and install all new, from scratch.

An actual break in a cable is rare, almost unheard of in a larger cable, especially a stranded core, so I would be concentrating on the terminations.

I have access to the terminations and they are both fine.

Both solid 6mm conductors.

But I do not know if there are any joints hidden somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back