How to fit a back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to fit a back boiler in my house, but having never done it before i would appreciate any tips that ye can give me.

Its a new house so i have to fit the whole fireplace aswell. Im doing all the plumbing myself aswell, and have no problems with connecting the boiler, its just the physical task of siting the boiler and hearth and backfilling etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you are not sure of what you are doing you should not be doing it. That is an open flued appliance if things are not done right it could be a death trap.

I do hope that you have fitted a flue liner of the right diameter and with the correct termination???

Do you have the correct size ventilation to the outside ???

Back boilers are very inefficient and I would certainly not be fitting one in a new house.

Even in Ireland I would have expected the Building Regs would have had some energy efficiency aspects to be met. A open flued boiler ventilation changes the air many times an hour and seriously increases the running cost compared with a room sealed boiler.

It always surprises me that they have not developed a twin pipe flue to make a room sealed condensing back boiler. I am sure there would be a lot of applications bearing in mind the 1.5 Million back boiler installations in the UK.

Tony

not enough info on this post . Is it a gas or solid fuel back boiler. If solid fuel is it for hot water only or a high output wrap round steel heating type?

Sponsored Links
Yeah its an 18" solid fuel back boiler. I have oil fired central haeting aswell, the back boiler is only to supplement the oil haeting. Im a big fan of an open fire and will be having a fire most nights so i reckon i may aswell use the heat to save on oil.
The back boiler is heating a dual coil indirect copper cylinder (this is the main always open circuit. It will also tap into the radiator circuit to heat the rads. I dont expect the back boiler to be able to heat the whole house but it shall save on oil and is sure better than letting all the heat up the chimney.
The flue and chimney have been built specifically for an open fire and back boiler, with correct flue size and flue gatherer.
I have no probs plumbing the boiler, I just need to know is there any specific rules to follow about how to mount/backfill the boiler. I have plumbed it already for an expansion pipe and safety blow-off valve

Your help is much appreciated. :D

"""I have plumbed it already for an expansion pipe and safety blow-off valve"""

As we now know that its solid fuel then I would not have expected that its designed to be used on a sealed system.

Obviously the manufacturer's instructions will confirm if its possible or not and should be followed.

Tony

Its being used on an open vented system. I've taken an expansion pipe from beside the back boiler up over the header tank just for safety. The oil-fired end is open vented aswell. The blow-off valve is only for extra safety.

Im well confident about the plumbing end, its just fitting the boiler. Im sure the manufacturers instructions will be ok, im just wondering if anyone had any tricks of the trade or tips that might help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back