How to fit a floor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to fit some floor sockets (the metal ones with the metal flaps) soon, and just realised I have probably only fitted a few, many years ago, hence a question:

Once the flushed in box is installed and all the screedwork is done, should the socket be fitted next, or the floor covering (laminated wood or carpet at a guess)?

The main reason for my enquiry is because if the floor covering is done first this means the socket would be more of a trip hazard, perhaps.

What's the normal procedure here?

Sponsored Links
Done a few in shops and they always seem to fit the flooring etc up to the back box then the socket goes on top, the socket overlaps the box all around, thus leaving a neat edge where it overlaps the flooring.
As the top flap is the same size as the bottom screw down bit, cutting the floor finish to the edge of the socket could look unsitely even with the flap down.
When shut they always stick up about 3mm and the hinge a few mill more, personally I think there more designed for under something away from foot traffic,
Last one i went to was full of water, the builders cut too deep and somehow damaged the membrane and water actually come up through the floor

Oh and i think some come with special screws, using normal 3.5 screws, lifts the lid slightly, i recall

I guess you mean this type:

CM3344BC.JPG

?

The problems you envisage, and rocky describes, go away if you use this type:

screenshot_1327.jpg
screenshot_1328.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe that problem gos away, but those boxes apart from needing more depth are great for chopping through cables. As seen in my work offices. Mainly network and office cables mind you.

Thanks for your help.

I went for the standard floor sockets with the flaps, in the end.

Mind you, they took ages to second fix.

They were doubles, and each metal plate had two seperate socket modules fitted.

So this meant linking between the modules on each double.

Futher more, the metal faceplate had a seperate earth terminal that wasn't linked to the socket modules earth terminal.

And I wanted to provide an earth connection to the metal back box too.

So a lot of wires and links involved in these.

Glad I used 47mm deep boxes.

Bloody GET...

I was about to ask what brand you'd used until I got to the last line! We did some in a private gym to power his machines (we tried to tell him he wanted them without flaps but he wouldn't listen.

We just used cheap no-name stuff that CEF had on the shelf and they were fine to fit (other than the mess the floorers had made of the boxes)

May I ask why you thought the flapless ones (standard metalclad?) would have been better?

May I ask why you thought the flapless ones (standard metalclad?) would have been better?
Because of the fact it's a gym, and where they were located in the room (not near the edges particularly) so with the flap, there is a greater chance the machine won't just sit over it and cover it, and assuming it's not covered, there's going to be an unnecessary sharp corner ready to bite you at every opportunity. With them essentially being 'fixed' appliances, the plug is almost never going to be removed, so the flap serves little to no useful purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back