Floor socket (in carpeting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to add a floor socket (for a standard lamp & laptop without a trailing flex) to a room with carpet and 11mm underlay.

A domestic 2-gang flap-covered floor socket is wanted rather than the larger recessed box installation.

My question is how best to deal with the carpet. Anyone solved this one?

Sponsored Links
I'm not really sure I see the problem here. All you need to do is cut the hole in the carpet a little smaller than the size of the socket, then tuck the edges under the faceplate. I'm not sure how this is any different to the same installation with a floorbox, other than the trim being slightly wider.

Thanks Matthew,
My concern was the thickness of the carpeting+underlay. I'd wondered if I'd have to finish the carpet round the socket with gripper rods and all that sort of thing, or whether a particular type of box was best for the installation (it's a suspended chipboard floor).

Danny

Sponsored Links
I answered your question on the other section- flooring.

Use a dry liner lipped box, cut carpet just right to allow the lip to sit over it. If you wish, use d/sided tape to keep the carpet down.

When you compress the dry liner box (a 45mm deep one so the gap between jaws and face is big enough for the carpet and sheet floor) when fixing the socket everything should tighten up nicely.

I'd also suggest removing the underlay under the socket footprint, it makes the socket nice and flush.

Thanks Guys,
Holmslaw, particularly appreciate the tip on replacing the underlay with hardboard -that's inspired!

Danny

Thanks Guys,
Holmslaw, particularly appreciate the tip on replacing the underlay with hardboard -that's inspired!

Danny

Yup, a very good tip, and exactly what I did when fitting a floor socket in my own house, in exactly the same situation as you with thick underlay and a suspended floor. However, I put the carpet between the dry lining box and the outlet, otherwise you're restricted to the very small lip on the backbox, and there's a good chance the carpet might pull away over time. Come to think of it, not sure why I didn't mention it in my first post! :p

Thanks Again, Matthew

That removes my final worry which was strength of the lip on the dry liner box.:D

I wonder if we'll eventually see purpose designed floor boxes (bigger lip area in metal or plastic, carpet grip, and deeper reinforced box for flexibility in flooring thickness) as demand rises?

Thanks for everyone's help,
Danny

UVCSM3SLASH4.JPG

;)

RF is showing a commercial floor box, normal 3 compartment set as 1x power, 1 x data, 1 x spare (used to be voice or more power).

The footprint is a tad excessive for home use

The overall dimensions of the 3 compartment Univolt Cavity Floor Service Box are
Length: 305mm
Width: 242mm
Depth: 74mm.

If the lamp is permanently plugged in, the flap will be permanently up.

cannot see a reason why a nomal twin socket cannot be used if out the way of damage.

how about a "power gromet". round recessed floor box, comes with a single socket and / or 1 or 2 data points.. so you've got your internet there for the laptop.. lid closes on it so nothing sticking up except the cables..
you'd need 2 for a table lamp as well though..

or a more standard small floor box, good for just one double socket or accessory plate..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back