how to fit new windows in cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had all my windows delivered for my extension which i will put in myself. I know i need to use frame anchors but how do you fit them. If i sit the window in the middle of the opening then presumably it sits around about where the cavity is. If this is the case there is nothing to screw into? Im i missing something really simple as i cant find any info on this haveing done a search on here.
thanks

Sponsored Links
The windows should be fitted to the back of the external skin. I.E. the back of the frame is flush with the inside of the brick.
Presumably you have a cavity closer which should bridge the gap.

Yes, the cavity closers are already in.
So the window doesnt sit centrally in the wall but sits on the outer brick skin and screw into that.
Thanks

hi
i am still confused about fitting my windows.
I place the widow in the opening and push it back so that it sits snuggly against the lip of the cavity closer (which is roughly in the middle of the cavity). If i then drill though the window frame in the slot where the glass is placed later, then the screws would only screw into the cavity closer. Is this correct?
I thought the frame was supposed to be screwed into the brickwork using frame fixings. Is this not the case? Should i just be using self tapping screws to fix to the cavity closer? The appears (i think) to be the case with the windos fitted to the side of my patio doors that were installed by the same company who supplied me with my windows.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Does this help?
closeVertical.gif

Should also put the dpc on the side of the jamb window as well (not shown in the drawing) unless you're fitting upvc windows. I used to fit 12" dpc in the brickwork forming a L-shape when fitting the window.

Thanks, but no it doesnt really help.
I am fitting UPVC windows and I have no blockwork closing the cavity. I have cavity closers in which aer essentiall a box section that fits in the cavity with a flange on one side that sits across the blockwork to the brickwork. THis has a lip all the way down the middle that the window locates agains.

exactly like that. Thanks
So, should the window just fix to the cavity closer? Or do i have to screw in at an angle to fix to the brick work (or block work?)

You will need some cleats that will slotted in position, they normally comes with cavity closers, if not, your windows supplier or the cavity closers supplier should be able to help you.

See this or this

I have cavity closers just like that first link but i dont know whether they are tied to the wall like that as they are already installed and teh walls ahve been built around them.
Do i now just screw through the window frame into the cavity closer? is that all that hold the window in place?

The whole idea is that no tools is needed but there nothing to stop you to self-tap carefully to the first panel section of the cavity closers, will need to take out the DG window unit out of the frame to do this. You should've have all the flange fixings and window cill clips.

Best to ring the manufacter of the cavity closers you have and see what they recommend as some of them are made slightly difference.

thermflange2.gif

I have no clips or fittings.
I have the cavity closers (already in), the window frames and the glass.

Hi
Thanks for your help
I spoke to the manufacturers this morning. Had to get them to come out and see a faulty window anyway so i picked his brain. Apparently i do just screw through the frame straight into the cavity closers and thats it!
thanks for everything though.
james

Glad it's sorted, just make sure you use a non-rust screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back