How to fix a central heating radiator leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my radiator is leaking in the middle. Its in the bottom part of the radiator. Is there a way to fix this leak? Any kind of putty that can seal this leak? Until I replace this radiator I need a temporary fix. Water is coming out drop by drop. Has put a bowl there temporarily.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
One of my radiator is leaking in the middle. Its in the bottom part of the radiator. Is there a way to fix this leak? Any kind of putty that can seal this leak? Until I replace this radiator I need a temporary fix. Water is coming out drop by drop. Has put a bowl there temporarily.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best to isolate the radiator at both ends so if it bursts you will only have the water in the rad spilling out rather than the whole system.

Probably rusted from the inside out, the rest might go the same way...

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to fix this leak? Any kind of putty that can seal this leak? Until I replace this radiator I need a temporary fix.

Araldite two-part epoxy glue is pretty good at things like that. You'll need to get it perfectly dry tho, and the surface needs to be sound. It'll only ever be a temporary repair tho. There also used to be a product by Belzona called Chemical Metal (or similar), it was also a two-part mix. I don't know if it still exists. I once repaired a sump hole on a lorry with that stuff without taking the sump off. It lasted years and still didn't leak when it was sold.

If you sand paper the paint off until you have shiny metal then you could glue a 1p piece over the hole with standard epoxy ( not rapid set ) and that will often make a very good temporary repair.

But it does really need replacing. It could leak elsewhere at any time!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back