How to fix mud pile of a garden after recent fence work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Unfortunately I have zero gardening experience and looking for some help in making my now mud pit of a garden somewhat more presentable in advance of putting house on the market.

I've recently had a fence installed that's left the grass destroyed and it now just a muddy building site (so I don't have a specific drainage issue)

I've tried to read through some of the advice on here and some of the things I've found is to aerate and then replant grass. Where I'm confused is what to do after aerating, what type of fertilizer should be used, how is it applied, how long until planting new grass etc

Any general advice on things I could do now would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
There isn’t a great deal you can do at this time of year all the time it’s wet, but if we get a dry spell you could hire a lawn airator which will help give oxygen to the roots and encourage the grass to repair itself.

It’s not the time of year to use fertiliser, you could do a weed n feed when we get into spring.

If you’ve got a moss problem then you could apply copper sulphate solution, but bear in mind it will turn the moss black in 24 hours and you won’t get a green lawn until the grass grows again.

If you are wanting to do the lawn in the spring and really improve it, then scarify the lawn to remove the thatch, aerate the soil with a hire machine, maybe brush in some top dressing, then lay grass seed.

If the lawn isn’t too massive the quickest way to get grass seed to grow is to but a roll of fleece and some metal clips. Spread the seed and put down the fleece, it stops birds eating all the seed and the grass germinates really quickly - after a month you will have a green lawn, after 6 weeks you can top it with a lawnmower

when are you putting the house on the market perhaps delay till late summer ??
the only solution is to sell as is with what growth you get or returf if its for summer then probably returf or expect a bit knocked off for returfing but iff everything else is in good state suggest returfing and a bit off planters will pay for its self as any defect will tend to be seen as "what problems may be hidden else where "??

If you’ve got a moss problem then you could apply copper sulphate solution, but bear in mind it will turn the moss black in 24 hours and you won’t get a green lawn until the grass grows again.

If the lawn isn’t too massive the quickest way to get grass seed to grow is to but a roll of fleece and some metal clips. Spread the seed and put down the fleece, it stops birds eating all the seed and the grass germinates really quickly - after a month you will have a green lawn, after 6 weeks you can top it with a lawnmower

There's no such thing as a 'moss problem'.
Moss in a lawn is a boon and a thing of beauty.

Take off your shoes on a dewy morning then walk across a mossy lawn.

You'll see. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Why would you be thinking of fertiliser?
To be honest, I'm not particularly sure but reading online seemed to suggest fertilizer after aerating. Basically that's why I've posted the question, I have very limited (zero) experience with anything out with of basic garden maintenance

There isn’t a great deal you can do at this time of year all the time it’s wet, but if we get a dry spell you could hire a lawn airator which will help give oxygen to the roots and encourage the grass to repair itself.

It’s not the time of year to use fertiliser, you could do a weed n feed when we get into spring.

If you are wanting to do the lawn in the spring and really improve it, then scarify the lawn to remove the thatch, aerate the soil with a hire machine, maybe brush in some top dressing, then lay grass seed.

Thanks, the garden isn't particularly big, maybe 8x8m so I will wait until next month and then try the idea with the fleece. Is this the same fleece you'd use over the winter for frost protection of the grass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back