How to fix plate to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Just looking at how to fix a plate to a wall for roof rathers to hit on.

I've seen the chemical resin solutions with chemical studs and I've also seen anchor bolts.

Assuming I was using 12*180mm anchors would these be as strong as the chemical fixings?

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
It's normally bedded on mortar and then strapped down with 1.5m straps - not anchored which is a waste of time and does nothing

Sorry, I don't mean the wall plate on top of the inner skin, I mean what the rafters sit on the other end. It's a lean to roof.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
We would fix the plate with 100mm plugs and screws if the rafters were to be fixed to the face of the plate. Once all the rafters were in place we would then fix in between rafters with some sleeve anchors, as you don't want the anchor stud to interfere with the rafter seat.

however, if you are fixing the plate below the rafter ends then you are free to sleeve anchor fix immediately.

so anchoring seems to be prefered and is a lot cheaper than resin?

Thanks

J

There is no need for resin, because nothing is trying to pull the bolts out

Hello guys,

I've bought a pack of these

85676.jpg

Through Bolt 12 x 180 mm

Not sure if it looks quite suitable :s

James

We would never use those. Thunder bolts are superior.

We would never use those. Thunder bolts are superior.
Engineered brackets are more superior than thunderbolts but just as over the top.

Sleeved anchors will be fine for a wall plate.

Ignore Norcon he is clueless.

Engineered brackets are more superior than thunderbolts but just as over the top.

The op posted up an image showing an anchoring bolt which you think is excellent. Its not.

We've used them on heavy shuttering loads where several ton might be pressing on them once pouring commences and they fail.
Thunderbolts rarely fail. There's a reason for that!
Now who is clueless?

Now explain how an "engineered bracket" becomes an anchoring bolt?
He won't. :mrgreen:

You still paying £100 quid per cubic/m for concrete? Muggins. :LOL:

Just home from pouring 50 ton of concrete into the first pour of an underground water storage facility which will store 32,000 gallons.
What you been doing apart from being on here giving guff?

The OP is building an extension roof though. Different situation, completely different loadings

The fixings the OP has chosen allow the timber to be tightened to the wall and the same bit to be used for drilling timber and wall.

Those thunder bolts will require a wider hole to be drilled in the timber else the bolt will tightened in the timber rather than the wall, and the timber will be loose

Always select the most appropriate fixing for the situation, not a certain type because it has been used on a different job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back