Fixing timber runner to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still building the extension and now approaching first floor level. One end of the floor joists will sit in hangars on the new masonary wall, the other ends will sit in hangers nailed to a 50mm x 250mm timber runner fixed to the existing house wall.

Many months ago during the BCO's last visit I asked him if fixing the runner to the wall with M12 fasteners at 600mm centers alternately at the 1/3 depth positions would be OK - he said it would (I think I got that idea from someone on this site).

At the time, I assumed I'd be using resin anchors but now I've had a look on the manufacturers sites (Hilti etc) I'm not so sure. The fixing will be into the brick outer leaf of a cavity wall but the resin type anchors are all much longer than the width of a brick.

What do you suggest? Can I just 'resin in' a plain length of studding to a depth of say 80mm or would ordinary anchor bolts without any resin be OK?

Your advice would be very welcome.

P.S. ----- A bit of feedback for you on a question I posted recently about building gable walls straight. I bought a pair of Blakes Building Profiles (£130) and they are brilliant - thank you.

Sponsored Links
Any expanding bolt with 60 to 75mm depth into the brickwork will be ok. You don't have to use resin anchors, unless you're getting close to an edge of the wall (which you shouldn't be).

on the non-external side why don't you just cut a slot out of the masonry and build 'em in?

piece of cake.

Sponsored Links
Great - thank you both for your replies. I'll stick with the runner for this extension as I've already bought the timber/timber hangars. When I come to build the extension on the other side of the house I'll think again.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back