how to fix shower riser kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to fix a shower riser kit (the sliding rail thing the shower head fixes to) in my shower cubicle which has been freshly tiled.

the position I want it in is not infront of a joist so I cannot screw into anything solid. I have cavity (stud work) walls.

i'm trying to think if the best way to attach it to the wall.

I was thinking about just using no more nails to stick it in position - do you think this would work/be acceptable?

if not, can anyone tell me how to fix the rail to the wall? if I drill holes through the tiles, i'll go into a cavity and have nothing to crew into.

i'm at a loss.

also, when drilling holes into tiles to mount stuff like this, doesn't it pose any problems with leaking? is there a way to 'seal' the hole up after you've mounted the rail?

thanks

Sponsored Links
it's tiled won't be a problem just put it up with the screws/plugs supplied
they'll hold it for yrs.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies

just so i understand, the plug should go in past the tile so when the screw expands it, it's expanding inside the plasterboard and not the tile.

is that right?

Actually, I do mine the incorrect way - but do it carefully and I have never cracked a tile yet...

Drill 6mm hole with tile drill bit, plug it with red 6mm plug, then i use a 4 x 4.5 screw into it and screw it in by hand gently to make sure it doesn't crack the tile.

Provided the screw you are using isn't too thick in diameter you wont crack the tile and will get a nice snug fit.

The plug goes flush with the tile - in my incorrect method ;) - but i think its the only way to get a decent grip into a stud wall thats been tiled.

On a block/brick wall i would push the plug through past the tile :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back